SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By electricrandye
A novice needs help.... new to electronics age .... know absolutely nothing about programming. I need help with components and programs. I inadvertantly posted this in code snippets. :cry:

I am wanting to start a remote pump, 600 ft away, have it run for a preset period of time [adjustable time range from 30 to 60 minutes using a spring wound, non powered timer to initiate start and stop]. 3-5 cycles/day.

I would like to use a low powered radio system... initiate the start signal thru the timer, and send to a remote transciever, where a start signal would be applied to start a large pump thru an interposing relay. A pushbutton or selector switch will be in series with the initiating timer contact to allow stopping of the pump early, or in an emergency.

The terrain between the pump and the remote location is rough, so I will need to elevate the antenna at the pump transceiver to get good line of sight.

There is no power available at the transmitter, so I would like to use a 12vdc battery with a solar charger to supply power.
At the pump, I have 120vac, 1 phase available for control power, or feed to power supply for receiver.

Low installed cost and reliability are important. :roll:
what you want to do is pretty straightforward but you don't say what level of skill you have and what your cost target is.

Costs can vary widely. Do you have microcontroller experience? I also think your use of a spring wound timer seems a bit odd - why not use some sort of electronic timer?

The "low" power aspect of the transmitter is probably not a real issue - even a "high powered" transmitter used for only 20 seconds a day won't draw much overall power. You should be fine as long as you don't keep the transmitter energized when it's not in use.
By stevech
I recommend a pair of Digi/Maxstream 900MHz radios. Widely use. Plug and play. Can be secure to prevent false messages.