SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Mechanic
To all,
I'm new to wireless technology and very interested in learning how to use it.

I'm trying to control the pump on my well by monitoring the level in my water storage tank. I have a float switch in the tank and it's approximately 600' to 700' from the tank to the power for the well with the lione of sight obscured by a metal building. I would like to use a battery for the TX with a solar panel to keep it charged. As I envision it, when the float switch closes it will turn on the TX and I would like it send some type of signal every 20 seconds (for example) to the RX. When the RX receives the signal it will energize a relay and will probably have to energize a larger relay which will turn on the 20 amp pump. To avoid pinging the relays every 20 seconds and, I would like the RX to keep the output signal high until the TX quits sending a signal; the RX would look for 30 sec (for example) for another signal and if it doesn’t see on it toggles the output to low. I would like to have some frequency selection choices so I could use this same design for other applications within range.

I don’t know if I can accomplish all this with just an RF Link or if I need a micro controllers. I’m comfortable with programming languages with some examples ( loops, if’s, clock, input, output) I’m confident. Perhaps I’ll need a node? In short, what will I need? By the way, this application is in California, USA

Mechanic
By daniels_here
You want the CC1110 they are a micro from TI they have inbuilt micro and RF. You can use them over 433, 900 and (2.4GHz if you get the cc2510) all the ISM bands with easy change to the code.

this will require some programming however. they are easy to program, check out the pod cast on there website www.ti.com\cc1111 the only problem is the development board is $600 which could blow your buget. but they chips are very cheap and low power which it seems you want.

They also have a program called simpliciti which may help, with you having no experience in RF design. You may also be require to daisy chain the modules if you are going over a long distance with no line of sight.

however if the cc1110 is no good i would surgest this one
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=560
it will get you the distance but you will need a micro for this one and again you may need to daisy chain it also alot cheaper for a one of prototype.
you will also need this
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... cts_id=766
for the micro already has relays on it andconnecting the two is easy as it is just straight wires between the two.

it really depends wheather you are going comerical with this or if it is a one off prototype as to what you do.

hope this helps
daniel
By stevech
Mechanic wrote:To all,
I'm new to wireless technology and very interested in learning how to use it.

I'm trying to control the pump on my well by monitoring the level in my water storage tank. I have a float switch in the tank and it's approximately 600' to 700' from the tank to the power for the well with the lione of sight obscured by a metal building. I would like to use a battery for the TX with a solar panel to keep it charged. As I envision it, when the float switch closes it will turn on the TX and I would like it send some type of signal every 20 seconds (for example) to the RX. When the RX receives the signal it will energize a relay and will probably have to energize a larger relay which will turn on the 20 amp pump. To avoid pinging the relays every 20 seconds and, I would like the RX to keep the output signal high until the TX quits sending a signal; the RX would look for 30 sec (for example) for another signal and if it doesn’t see on it toggles the output to low. I would like to have some frequency selection choices so I could use this same design for other applications within range.

I don’t know if I can accomplish all this with just an RF Link or if I need a micro controllers. I’m comfortable with programming languages with some examples ( loops, if’s, clock, input, output) I’m confident. Perhaps I’ll need a node? In short, what will I need? By the way, this application is in California, USA

Mechanic
Consider Digi/Maxstream's 900MHz radios. Plug and play in a metal box, error management, etc. Miles of range with the right antenna. 1Watt transmitter.

You have a classic "SCADA" need. SCADA = Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition. Lots and lots of SCADA wireless in use, including the one I referenced.