SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By xludan
I've read a lot of posts about people sending data from their computer to the bluetooth module. For my application I would like to take the output from an accelerometer and transmit it via bluetooth to a computer or pda. Is this possible with the bluesmirf or some other bluetooth DIP Module such as the one found here?
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8461

Thanks for the help.
By mllebuffalo
hi i would like to know the answer to this as well! i've been looking into rfid, but can't seem to get the distances i need to communicate to the serial port of my computer, but still need to have unique IDs being sent.
i was wondering if bluetooth modules would be able to communicate to the computer as well.
if anyone out there has the answer or some thoughts, please drop a line! /mlle
By Ryansway
Your both welcome to follow my bluesmirf dilemma's here

viewtopic.php?p=41958#41958

In "theory" it's supposed to be easy. But, as you'll read, there's a bunch of things that do go wrong.

Currently, bluesmirf (aka) FireFly, can only communicate with zTerm (Mac OSX panther). Right now, we're trying to get it communicating with XPSP2, but it's looking rather grim.

The device I took delivery of, is the new "updated" version of bluesmirf, so the old literature on the web can't be referred to. I've unwittingly become something of a guinea pig and have spent 3 days trying to get it to work so far.

Once I do get it working, I'll blog an analogy and if it was worth the effort - I certainly hope so.
By micfiz
Currently, bluesmirf (aka) FireFly, can only communicate with zTerm (Mac OSX panther). Right now, we're trying to get it communicating with XPSP2, but it's looking rather grim.

The device I took delivery of, is the new "updated" version of bluesmirf, so the old literature on the web can't be referred to. I've unwittingly become something of a guinea pig and have spent 3 days trying to get it to work so far.

Once I do get it working, I'll blog an analogy and if it was worth the effort - I certainly hope so.[/quote]

Do I read this right? That the new Blue Smirfs do not communicate in Windows XP! I just bought one and have been trying all night to get the HP NC6400 laptop to talk to it using either Hyperterminal or Putty terminal.
I get the green connected light to go on but nothing happens with commands sent to it from a terminal. NOthing nada. Just for kicks did the jumper of RX to TX. Oh and yes I've read many posts. using default factory setting of 115200, 8N1 no H/W. But apparently the documentation is a loser too. What is the response form Sparkfun ion this issue?
By Level1
ATTENTION!! The Roving Networks bluesmirf (gold) and Sparkfun's BGB203 bluesmirf (silver) DO WORK with any OS that has a COM port and can use a terminal program.

As far as the hardware is concerned, all of the bluetooth modules we sell are compatible with each other, but do sometimes use different command sets. All one needs to get a link going from PC to bluesmirf is a terminal emulation program and that is it. We suggest something like TeraTerm.

All these devices do is replace the serial cable.

IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE Please email spark@sparkfun.com OR call 303-284-0979 x122

Thanks.
By micfiz
Watch out for the timer of 60 seconds. If you fiddle around to much getting your Bluetooth host (laptop) or (iPAQ) to connect or setup running a terminal the 60 seconds is used up. No matter how manyy $$$ you send the CMDing don't happen.

Thanks to Spark at Sparkfun for pointing this out even though I did read it in the 25 page document from Roving Networks.

The BlueSMiRF RP-SMA works great for me. Got it talking to my PIC 16F88 right away. Fun stuff. Thanks Sparkfun for supporting your gadgets.

:P