SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By H4dro
Hi

I am very very new to electronics so I will apologise in advance for any stupid questions that i ask! (i study networking so if I wrongly use any networking terms that are not appropriate I also apologise !!!)

I am wanting to design a simple tracking system using rf transmitters and receivers.

I basically want the transmitter circuit to constantly ping the receiver circuit and if the receiver circuit is out of range, or does not receive this signal then it alerts via some lcd or even a led!

I have found a similar project on the net but i dont know if i could use that as the basics for what i want to do.

http://www.e-dsp.com/how-to-build-your- ... plication/

Could i just build these exact same circuits and add an extra bit of assembly code to flash an led when it stops receiving??

I have done a bit of reading on avr chips, AVR Jtag ice programmers and i bought a few ATMEGA32 chips thinking that i could do it but in actual fact i am just lost!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
By leon_heller
Range? Accuracy?

Leon
By H4dro
Hi

Thanks for your reply

Range rougly 2-20m ( i dont want to go too far as i will be making it in a lab so testing with a range of 100m isnt really going to be practical) if it would be possible to set different ranges ie 5 meters 10 meters 20 meters that would be good but if it is only possible to have 1 fixed range that would be fine.

And id say for accuracy within 1 or 2 meters ( if this is reasonable)

The range and accuracy are not to much of an issue as long as i can make a working prototype.

Thanks again
By leon_heller
The RF field won't be uniform unless you use omni-directional antennas. Modelling the system is probably a good way to start.

Leon
By H4dro
what exactly do you mean by modeling the system? the circuit design? there is a project on the first like with assembler code for just a simple transmit receive circuit. Could this be adapted to alert when the receiving circuit stops receiving ie other circuit is out of range?
By leon_heller
I meant modelling the RF fields so that you can design the antennas properly.

Leon