SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By jdebros
Just for clarification: If your USB port cannot support the required amount of current, you'll need to use the 5v-12v barrel jack. A word of advice: I took a 5v 2A power supply and tried it - but the RF side would turn off when registering on the network.

I then replaced it with a 5v 1A power supply and now it works flawlessly. It's definitely also a quality (of power supply) issue as well as quantity (volts & amps).

The polarization is center-post + (positive).

Regards,

/jd

p.s. I lost 2 hours of troubleshooting because I thought my original power supply would have been "good enough". Live and learn...
By PixController
I've got a strange question. I just got the same system, this USB EV board with the GM826 module and powered it through my USB 2.0 port. I'm able to talk to the module via Hyper Terminal, however, any "AT" command other than "AT" only produces the response of "ERROR". I thought maybe the issue was the power supply so I replaced it with a 5V 1.5V on the 2.1mm power connector, but it did not solve the problem.

What am I doing wrong? I can't get the GM862 module to respond at all.
By jdebros
PixController wrote:I've got a strange question. I just got the same system, this USB EV board with the GM826 module and powered it through my USB 2.0 port. I'm able to talk to the module via Hyper Terminal, however, any "AT" command other than "AT" only produces the response of "ERROR". I thought maybe the issue was the power supply so I replaced it with a 5V 1.5V on the 2.1mm power connector, but it did not solve the problem.

What am I doing wrong? I can't get the GM862 module to respond at all.
I'm assuming you meant 5v 1.5A power supply. Hmmmm... I've not run into that problem - even when I had the power/registration issue.

Btw, what are the AT commands you are trying to run? Have you tried these:

Query PIN status: AT+CPIN?
Query Network status: AT+CREG?
Query Network operator ID: AT+COPS=?
Query RSSI (signal strength): AT+CSQ
Network Status Check: AT+MONI?

Cheers,

/jd