SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By isaac
I'm interested in a Lassen iQ module to play with, but not sure what antenna to buy. The tiny active antenna seems best (will fit easily in any device I build later) but I'm not sure how fragile it is (no housing) and what sort of reception it will get. Will it get reception indoors? Near a window? How does it compare to ther other antenna options? Could you maybe post a comparision guide like you have for PIC programemrs?

Also, does the USB evaluation board hold the module in just with the socket connector on the module? Which would mean it's easy to remove and use somewhere else (not glued or soldered to board) but it also could get disconencted if moved around much, correct? How easily does it disconnect? If you turned the eval board upside down, would it fall off?

I use Mac OS X, so hopefully I can get the evaluation board to spit out NMEA to the USB "serial port" so I can read the data. I plan to also hook up this module to a PIC later on.
By sparky
Comparison guide! YES! Good idea - I've just got to find a minute to do it...

The magnetic mount antennas are very sturdy with great reception. The best way to start playing with any GPS receiver. Once you get up and running, then I would recommend moving to any embedded ant. The Mini-Ant is very good, but remember, you will need to be in clear view for ~15 minutes to get a full almanac. A magnetic mount antenna with 5m cable means you can stay inside while the atenna freezes outside!

Good question about the usb board. The Lassen iQ *is* only held on by the SMD connector. Pretty resilient but not great - the upside down test will hold the unit, but it will rise off the board considerably. We have provided solder pads to allow the end customer to solder down the unit if necessary. Double stick tape is a nice medium as well.

-Nathan
By isaac
Thanks for the info Nathan. I think the way it's mounted makes sense, as an eval board.

I was looking at the Lassen Eval kit, and it said in the link to download that drivers that Mac and Linux drivers were included, but when I downloaded the file:

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/SFE_ ... s-v011.zip

...there are only windows drivers. I eventually figured out from the pdf that I could ftp to silabs and download the drivers from there, but it was a pain (the download was an exe file I had to run in VirtualPC in order to get the OSX drivers out).

Could you include the OSX and Linux drivers in that download? (looks like you intended to...) Thanks!
By sparky
I would like to but the drivers are changing so quickly (the open source Linux drivers are coming end of March) that a static link would be out of date nearly immediately.

I'll try to make the Mac/Linux FTP download connection a little more apparent.

-Nathan