SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By saxenas
Hey Guys!

For guys I think engineering comes like second nature, but as for me, it gets pretty confusing. Well, I'm planning on connecting one RF-24G transceiver to an AVR butterfly for transmitting data and connecting one RF-24G transceiver to an AVR butterfly for receiving data. I have gone through data sheets for both components but still confused on how to wire them together. Will this setup work for connecting AVR to the RF-24G in transmission: USI-pin3 --> DATA, USI-pin1 --CLK1, PORTB-pin7 --> DR1, PORTB-pin9 --> GND, PORTB-pin10 --> VCC. And for receiving: USI-pin2 --> DOUT2, USI-pin1 --CLK1, PORTB-pin7 --> DR2, PORTB-pin9 --> GND, PORTB-pin10 --> VCC. Can anyone tell me if this is correct. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys for your help. Hope to hear a reply soon on the forum or you can IM me. My AIM screenname is SparklieDreamer, hope to talk to some of you soon. Thank You.

- Shivani
By Lajon
I recently put some example AVR RF24-G code in the AVR Code forum. At least it provides one example of connecting the RF-24G modules (using SPI) but I don't know what pins are usable on an AVR Butterfly.
Note that both the receiver and the sender side will need to write to the module (the receiver needs to write the configuration) so DATA must always be connected.
/Lars
By saxenas
Hey Lars,

Thanks for the information, I'm still looking into it. If there's anyone who have experience with the AVR butterfly, can you IM me or leave a reply. Not only am I confused about the connection but also the coding. Thanks for the help.

- Shivani
By Lajon
I had a look at the Butterfly schematic, looks like you can use SPI (available on the 6 pin ISP connector) which should make it possible to use my code with little porting needed. Just do not enable the data flash memory at the same time as the rf24g (keep PB0 high while using the rf24g). You need 3 additional pins (2 out and 1 in), the USI connector could be used for that.
/Lars