SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Madeleine Hopkins
kim wrote:Right now I have pin 11 to 5V, pin 1 to ground
raygeeknyc wrote:Following this thread, I've connected pin 1 to +5VDC, pin 11 to ground
Ray, I think you have swapped these two pins.

Regards,
Madeleine
By arpitjoshi
Hello friends,

i am naive at electronics and am trying to us Id12 by connecting it with ATMEGA32 on STK500. the that i want to know is that if i want to connect stk500's led at pin 10 then do i ned to connect 1k resistor :?: :?: :?:
By arpitjoshi
Can someone provide with the sample code for initializing the USART when communicating with ID12.
By raygeeknyc
Madeleine Hopkins wrote:
kim wrote:Right now I have pin 11 to 5V, pin 1 to ground
raygeeknyc wrote:Following this thread, I've connected pin 1 to +5VDC, pin 11 to ground
Ray, I think you have swapped these two pins.

Regards,
Madeleine
Thanks Madeleine
I think that I had wired it up correctly but wrote it up wrong here. I had broken it down so I've just recreated it on the breadboard, making certain that I've got it right this time, but still nothing.
With this correct pin assignment:

I've connected pin 11 to +5VDC, pin 1 to ground, pin 10 to a 1K resistor which leads to the positive lead of an LED which is then connected to ground.

I hook this up to power, pass some HID cards by the ID12 and... nothing.

I have a few questions:
1) Is this enough of a circuit, and plan, to test this chip? Should the LED light?

2) How sensitive is this to variations in power? My power is actually +4.4 VDC according to my multimeter.

3) What is a good alternative for a simple test circuit if any?

Thanks again,
---Raymond
By Madeleine Hopkins
raygeeknyc wrote: I have a few questions:
1) Is this enough of a circuit, and plan, to test this chip? Should the LED light?
a, make sure RES (pin #2) is wired to +5V
b, make sure FS (pin #7) is wired to GND

Then pin #10 should go high when a tag is read.
During the time when pin #10 is high, the serial data is sent on pin #9.
This has worked flawlessy in our lab.
raygeeknyc wrote: 2) How sensitive is this to variations in power? My power is actually +4.4 VDC according to my multimeter.
I would check with +5V first and then experiment with lower powers if needed. No need to add several risk factors.
raygeeknyc wrote: 3) What is a good alternative for a simple test circuit if any?
4 cable-connections and 2 wires as such:

RED => +5V (pin #11)
BLK => GND (pin #1)
YEL => D0 (pin #9)
GRN => LED (pin #10)

Wire #1: from RES (pin #2) to +5V (pin #11)
Wire #2: from FS (pin #7) to GND (pin #1)

Now connect RED to +5V, BLK to Ground.

If you have an oscilloscope, measure on GRN, and swipe a tag. It should go high when ID12 is reading. Now measure on YEL. It should be high. (inverted TTL-level). Swipe a tag and you should see serial data here.

After this test:

Connect YEL to data in (TTL serial on e.g. AVR/PIC)

(Optionally: Connect GRN to resistor and LED or transistor + beeper. Do not drive anything directly from pin #10).
By raygeeknyc
Madeleine, thanks so much for your help

I've recreated this circuit on a breadboard and hooked it up to a (measured) 5VDC power supply.

(The ID12 is soldered into the Sparkfun breakout board)
The resistor is 1K, from pin 10 to the LED

The following pins are connected:
1 - GND
2 - +5VDC
7 - GND
10 - 1K - LED - GND
11 - +5VDC

When I switch the power on, I see a brief flash on the LED.
My test is simple enough, I have 2 HID cards (my building security cards from work). I pass either of them over the ID12 module, between a half inch to an inch from the module surface. No LED activity to be seen.

Is there anything wrong with this circuit that anyone can spot or do I have a defective/damaged module?

Thanks
--Raymond
By etracer
Are you sure your cards are the correct type of RFID cards? They need to be 125KHz with this module.
By busonerd
They need to be 125khz, and a particular protocol / encoding. The ones from SparkFun Electronics definitely work.

Cheers,

--David Carne