SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Tyberius
I ordered the Bluesmirf and USB bluetooth dongle a few days ago here, I'm using it to interface to a SSC-32 from lynxmotion.

My SSC-32 works fine plugged in directly via serial cable.

However, I've setup the Bluesmirf according to the instructions in Jim's (lynxmotion) tutorial, and as soon as I go to select the allocated com port in Lynxterm (SEQ as well) to set baud rates, it BSOD's my PC with an irql not less or equal etc. I've tried this on 3 PCs, same result on every one. .

The only difference in setting this up from Jim's instructions, is that I'm using the supplied software that came with the usb dongle (from sparkfun, and its mentioned as the new software used) instead of Bluesoleil, and I cant get bluesoleil to find my dongle anyway.

Any ideas on this or is my Bluesmirf bad?
By Tyberius
FYI- I resolved this issue myself (by using a hacked driver), turned out to be a bad driver that came with the BLACK bluetooth dongle I received from this site. Problem being that when I went to get new drivers, broadcom's website wouldnt let me, stating that I had invalid unlicensed hardware.

We're now receiving the same report from another user on the lynxmotion forum who has the same BLACK bluetooth dongle ordered from your site.

Any word on why there are driver problems with this particular dongle and why we cannot receive driver updates?
By SN96
I hope someone will check in to this since I will not buy one from here if there are bogus drivers being shipped.

The Blue SMiRFs are great but the dongles are becoming a thorn in ones shoes. :cry:
By mzoran
This practice seems very common. I bought a MSI Btoes dongle awhile back and it came with a trial version of Bluesolei. The first thing the setup program did was tell me I had a pirated version of the software. When I called technical support, they told me just ignore it. It's just a trial version until you pay for the retail software.
By Tyberius
^ Ya, but problem being is that the broadcom software wont let you get past that point on the update.
By mzoran
Right, your dongle may have come with a trial version so you can't update the software.

If your looking for a high quality bluetooth dongle try the anycom unit.
http://www.anycom.com/products/bluetoot ... group_id=3

It's $19 at Amazon. I bought this for my desktop awhile back and it works rather well. You can download Vista drivers off the Anycom website.

used this with the Sparkfun bluetooth DIP module and it works relatively well(for bluetooth). No hangs or crashes on the PC.

BTW, the bluetooth module causes my dell 355 module to hang the entire bluetooth stack requiring me to power cycle the laptop.

I'm starting to think that SPP isn't a well tested thing on most Bluetooth stacks. I think connecting a bluetooth mouse/keyboard and headset is the most common use followed by connecting a cell phone for address book synchronization.[/url]
By Tyberius
I wouldnt mind just using the trial software if it actually worked. Problem is the drivers that came with it were fubar'd and caused my machine to BSOD when I tried to connect to the Bluesmirf.... and you can't get new drivers from their website without having "licensed" hardware
By mzoran
BTW, forget about the Anycom. I've been testing more today and I'm also getting complete stack lockups with the DIP module on that dongle.

Forget what I said.