SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By webharvest
This is going to sound like a stupid question but here goes. Lets say there is an FM station transmitting from an antenna. You can calculate the radiated power density but lets say you have a large # of antennas (listeners). Each user has to be "pulling" off a little bit of power to receive the signal right? If so does that mean you can't have an infinite number of listeners?

I'm trying to get our brains working
By stevech
you are correct - multiple receivers capture more signal. The rub (a'int it always so?) is that when you go to sum the signals, you'll also sum the natural noise and receiving hardware devices' noie too. Just a few and the signal is lost in the noise. And with fewer, the benefit is an inverse exponential.

Now- think about a parabolic dish antenna. One whose diameter is very much greater than the wavelength of the desired signal. One receiver.
By jandirks
Off-topic, but why is this a sticky?

I think only moderators should be able to make a post sticky...
By webharvest
Thanks.

The question is regarding different users though not summing the signal together and creating one user.

When a person has an antenna and they receive the broadcast signal are they taking that energy away?

I guess the real question would be lets say you are a TV or radio station transmitting at 50,000Watts and X amount of radiated power. Lets say you put 100million receivers (all have their own antenna) within 10miles of the station, does this take away radiated power from a person that wants to receive the signal 60miles away?

Thanks
By xjet
Think of the radio transmitter like a can of paint that explodes inside a hollow ball (sphere)

It fires a signal (the paint) out over an ever increasing area (proportional to the distance from the transmitting antenna).

Imagine you're using a mythical isotropic antenna and you'll see that all the available paint is evenly spread over the inside of that hollow sphere -- and the larger the sphere, the thinner the paint (signal strength) will be.

Now in order to receive the transmission, each receiving antenna is effectively taking the paint from a small area of that sphere's inner surface.

So long as none of those areas overlap, no antenna will interfere with another, nor will it cause a greater load on the transmitter.

In effect, the number of receivers is limited by the area on the inside of that sphere -- because that's all the paint (signal) there is.

So the potential number of receivers is infinite (because your sphere can be made larger as required) but you soon reach a point where the amount of paint (signal) is so small on any given area that it can't be seen for the background noise.

This is also why we use high-gain antennas to extend our range -- they allow us to effectively collect more paint (signal) over a wider area than a lower-gain antenna.

Sorry if this is a bit patronizing but I'm used to writing simplistic explanations of complex topics as part of my job so sometimes I can't help myself :-)
By webharvest
Thanks that is a good explanation. It helped a lot