SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By johnrdupree
I'm new here, and an electronics neophyte, but I can't find a product to do what I want so I thought I'd ask around and see if I could get some info to help me build it.

What I want is a simple helmet Bluetooth intercom for rider/passenger communication on a motorcycle, with a built in mp3 player on each unit. This way each person gets to listen to their own music and still be able to talk to the other. Several companies sell motorcycle intercoms with Bluetooth, but they have features I don't want (GPS and cell phone pairing, music streaming) and are really pricey.

Small, relatively inexpensive mp3 players are easy to get, but I cannot find any device that acts as a Bluetooth intercom. Bluetooth has an Intercom Profile (http://www.palowireless.com/INFOTOOTH/t ... /k4_ip.asp) where two modules each act as terminals, but I haven't seen a product where this is used. Anyone know of one that I could hack apart for this project?

The other option would be to find a couple of Bluetooth modules with the Intercom Profile or use a CODEC and PCM and then I'm over my head.

Any suggestions?