SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By runnerfajita
I know very little about electronics, so you'll have to stick with me. This is probably simple, but here's what I'm looking to do. I've got a wired xbox 360 controller (so it connects via usb) and I want to make it wireless. In order for this to work, I am thinking that each end would need a transceiver that only transmits/receives the two usb data signals on the xbox end and the controller end. In order for the xbox controller to still be recognized, the xbox would have to view the usb insert as the controller signal and not need a new device driver.

I don't know if that made much sense, but in simpler terms, the two wireless devices need to transmit the usb signal without being noticed by the xbox or the controller. The two wireless devices would have to be like a third-party link where it only outputs the data signals to the controller/xbox. I don't know if the umirf would work or not (it would be powered by batteries).

If this is possible, how would it be done?

(p.s. If you need me to clarifiy, I can attempt to draw an image of what's in my head.)
By runnerfajita
Yeah, after I posted I started reading up on this type of stuff. It's strange to think that something that seems so simple is just barely being developed.
By busonerd
480Mbps transfers at low latency should hardly be called 'simple' ;).

Cheers,

--David Carne
By stevech
Don't the XBOXes have an Ethernet jack (RJ45) ?

If so, you can purchase a WiFi bridge (aka game adapter), connect this to the ethernet jack, and config the bridge to join your home's WiFi.

I don't have an XBOX, so I may be full of it.
By brennen
Why not just buy a wireless controller for $50 (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?coo ... _id=802113)? Considering the hardware you'd have to buy to get it working, you'll have spent nearly this much anyway once all is said and done, let alone the time spent figuring everything out.
By runnerfajita
I figured that. When I initially asked the question, I was thinking an easy solution would be a cheap modification to a wired controller. Apparently not...