SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By jonbowen234
I am currently looking into a project that for work and want to know if anyone has tried this yet. We have several translator stations for our radio station around the country. Like 48 or so I think is the current number. Well we have inside each an old analog bag phone hooked up to a modem. With the old setup I can either listen to a radio we have tuned to the station and put in the box with it or I can power on the modem through out satellite link and talk to the receiver through RS-232. With the GM862 RS232 eval board from sparkfun can I use it like a remote RS-232 modem as well as change it to a different mode to allow me to read an audio input from the radio?

I would just buy one and play with it but they don't let me play with to much stuff around here :) Even if I have to use an external contact closure to change modes thats fine I have the ability to provide a contact closure through the satellite receiver. Let me know you thoughts on this

Thanks
Jonathan Bowen
By maokh
Sounds reasonable.

Connect the serial port of the eval board to your satellite receiver using a straight through cable. Solder up the analog audio channel to the monitor output of your radio station.

You could have the device auto answer incoming calls and listen on a TCP port to provide serial communication over the GPRS network--perhaps in combination with the firewall and call barring. This could all be done via AT commands and no python....although...with python you could make an even better device.

contact me if you have any questions.