SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By rkeyes
Hello all,
I've been recruited to help MIT with their entry into the Solar Decathalon:
http://web.mit.edu/solardecathlon/
Where various teams compete with designing and building efficient solar houses. The contest is sponsored by US DoE and NREL.

I've been involved with this for about a week, and am under a lot of pressure to come up with some sensor solutions really quickly. They need to be mounted around the house, and something that is not ugly in its environment - i.e, energy efficient. I've looked at the modules available from Sparkfun and I think that's what we'll end up using. The problem is, while I have some electronics and computer hardware experience, and a lot of software experience (mostly with Linux), I am new to microcontrollers. I am reading up on them in my spare time, and it reminds me much of programming for my old Apple ][+ ;)

So, what I am asking for here is any shortcuts, existing code, schematics, , or experiences of others that might be useful in my project. I am very willing to give credit for any contributions.
By brennen
Check out my website (in my signature line). It's devoted to getting code going with the nRF24L01 and two different microcontrollers (PIC18F452 and LPC2148). The toolchains for both of these chips are totally free, but may take some work to get going (in particular the LPC2148). If you do decide to go with the LPC2148 or some other ARM variant, you can check out Jim Lynch's excellent tutorial on getting started with them. For the PIC, you can get Microchip's MPLAB IDE and then get their C18 compiler, both of which are free.