SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By m_ahlenius
Hi,

just got a BlueSmirf and have connected to a Roomba. First, I noted that I can't seem to connect to it using my Mac which only has Panther OS 10.3.9 - there must be a limitation on the Mac's BT implementation. You can't type any aphanumerics for the PassKey (only digits). The BlueSmirf uses "default" as the PassKey.

Any way to make this work without upgrading to Tiger (10.4.x)?

--

Now my main question - am trying to get the data mode to work by sending opcodes (just ascii numerics) to the Roomba via the BlueSmirf. I can connect to the BlueSmirf using someone elses mac with Tiger. I get it to bond (red LED comes on). But I'll often send an AT command, but get no response. Then I'll have to send either "+++" or ATMD and then it will send back "OK". Is this normal? Like if I send the command to set the BAUD rate, I won't get an "OK" ack back.

Also - I am using Zterm to test this out, is there a special set of AT commands I must use to put it into data mode - besides ATMD? Also is there a way, like how RealTerm works to be able to send numeric (non-ascii) numbers to the far side?

thanks much!
By wiml
You ought to be able to change the PIN to something that's purely numeric using the ATSP command. (Do you have a copy of the Blueradios document describing the AT commands the radio understands? You need to request it from sparkfun via email.)

AIUI, as a special case, setting the baud rate (ATSW20) and resetting the radio don't send a response but all the other AT commands do (or should).