SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By jptalledo
I'm testing my remote units and one smirfv2 remote unit works fine but the other transmit wrong data. The curious thing is remote unit allowed to be configured. I can change all the parameters in the remote unit abut channel, addres, baudrate, power but when exit from the configuration menu I received wrong data.

What is happening?? what is wrong??

Thanks

Jean Paul Talledo
By sparky
It is possible that the remote configuration command put the SMiRF into a different/corrupted baud rate. You will need to attach to the remote unit with a wired serial cable and configure it by hand.

-Nathan
By jptalledo
Hi

How I can connect by hand the remote unit?? to what??? and how I reprogram the baudrate????.. please give me specific instructions or tools that I need to solve this problem
By jtalledo
If I want to use the quick reconfiguration option. I just can change the option for the rf link but not the baud rate. how can I change byhand this option.

Thanks

Jean Paul Talledo
By sparky
You need to provide a serial connection from the computer's RS232 port to the remote SMiRF unit.

This is NOT a direct connection from the serial port on your comput to the SMiRF - this will damage the unit. You can connect to the remote unit using a MAX232 IC or equivalent circuit.

Once connected, power the SMiRF unit and use a terminal program to send serial characters to the SMiRF. Bring up the configuration menu and force the remote unit back to 9600bps on the channel you are using.

-Nathan
By jtalledo
Can I attach the max232 powered with 5v. to the smirf unit??- I think it can be dangerous too. Another solution?? the remote unit will bring me the same menu as the base unit???

Thanks.

Jean Paul
By jtalledo
How can I know what is the actual baudrate of the pic?? My problem is the microcontroller that I'm using because it can only connect from 19200 up to 115200 bps and can not be configured to connect to 9600 because it uses a 50 mhz clock.

The smirf operate at 3.3v right? so . how can i deal with the voltage translation??

Thanks
By jtalledo
Hi Nathan

I connect the smirf remote unit and it connects at the correct speed. but when i send ctrl^s 5 times it show me the following message:

SMiRF Firmware v02 - Configuration Menu:
[1] Channel Select (2400MHz)
[2] Address Select (0)
[3] Output Power ( 0 dBm)
[4] Baud Rate
[5] View Packet Statistics
[6] Scan for remote units
[x] Exit
:

But when I connect a good smirf remote unit, I received the following message:

SMiRF Firmware v2.1 - Configuration Menu:
[1] Channel Select (2405MHz)
[2] Address Select (30)
[3] Output Power ( 0 dBm)
[4] Baud Rate
[5] View Packet Statistics
[6] Scan for remote units
[x] Exit
:

The version that appears in the bad unit is v02 and in the new is v2.1 I think something is wrong with the firmware.

Please give solutions because I need to use this unit as soon as possible
By jtalledo
Hi Nathan

I need you send me the firmware of the smirf v2. for the remote unit.

Thanks
By jtalledo
Hi guys

I tried to reprogram my smirf remote unit using my icsp programmer pg1 and winpic. first of all. they ask me if want to use the vpp/vdd enable for pic16f88 and I enable this option. Then I select JDM programmer on the desired port and the interface is ok.

But I cannot reprogram the pic 16f688. in the code area, sometimes the program can write some right code but always is not completely done.

What can be the problem??
Other thing is the hex file update the config word to 0x21C4 and I think it can be bad because the smirf uses external high speed clock. Other thing is if I select program and I change the config word, when the program load the hex file changa again to 0x21C4.

Please give me suggestions how to resolve this problem.

Thanks

Jean Paul
By sparky
Have you got the 16F688 device selected under WinPIC?
By jtalledo
i selected the pic16f688 and the jdm programmer but nothing happens ok. always the program code is incorrect.
By sparky
We use COM84 under the programmer selection - just because it's default and works well enough for us.

If you continue to have problems I would be more than willing to take a look at the unit for you. It may need more attention than reprogramming the PIC.

-Nathan