SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By guest
Hi all,

I have read the datasheet on this module but cannot find what the actual range (metres) of this transceiver.

i have the power output set to 0 dBm. (there iare -5,-10.-20 and 0 settings available). How does this translate to actual metres?

richt now I'ms truggling to get more than a few metres. However this might ahve to do with my software protocol and the fact that I'm right next to a heavy machines lab.
By MJ
I have used Laipac's transmitter and receiver "a few meters" also, but not their transceiver. My experience with the Tx and Rx is about consistent with yours. I could successfully transmit about 50 feet when going through a concrete foundation wall, but the quality of transmission was poor. Probably 30% effective. If I got to within, say, 20 feet, without anything in between, the transmission quailty went up dramatically.

I also was able to get about 200 feet outside on a clear night, and probably could have gotten farther--but without anyone else to tell me if the transmission was successful at the other end I couldn't tell.

In short, my results are consistent with yours. I believe Sparky has done some range tests (or at least I thought I saw them here at SparkFun), but check out the laipac site as well.

Regards,
Jeff
By pittuck
ok few questions, wifi? bluetooth? microwaves? mobile phone antenas? lol. All can be a factor.

Turn transmission to slow speed (250kbps)
By richgood2005
turned the transmission speed to 250k and I got an extra few metres. For some reason I thought these transceivers had ranges approaching 200m. Anyway thanks for the help
By pittuck
They do, but it depends on ambient noise. Try putting data to 0xFF and then u should get a few more meters.

Microwave ovens are a bit problem, so are mobile phones / masts for interfearance.

Also how long are the packts?

I mean a 4 byte packet will be interfeared with less than a 20 byte one...
By sparky
200m is the theoretical max based on the sensitivity and power of the Nordic nRF2401 chip. In practice, it's not that far.

I was able to go 97 steps (truly scientific) before the link with the SMiRF broke down outdoors - line of sight. Add concrete, ovens, domesticated animals, and your viable transmit distance goes down.

I like to recommend the 24G units for 'same room' applications. If you can see the computer, you can most certainly communicate with a 24G unit to it.

-Nathan