SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By marcan
So I just got a BlueSMiRF in the mail today, wired it up to the RS232 shifter, and started playing with it. Eventually I stumbled across the "set boot mode" command, which was a very bad idea. I ended up switching the module to BCSP mode, and had no clue how to get it back.

I managed to get the BCSP utils from BlueZ to work, and tried several things to no avail. The module worked fine as a PC bluetooth interface in BCSP mode, but I needed the AT mode back.

Quick info on BCSP: This is a multiplexed protocol by CSR that is used for Bluetooth devices. A set of it is dedicated to managing the device (BCCMD), and part of that deals with changing settings. The settings are stored across several layered data stores as keyID=value pairs. The highest layer with a value defines what value gets used.

At first I tried changing several parameters in the temporary RAM store. Specifically, I tried changing the BOOTMODE and HOST_INTERFACE settings in psram and doing a warm reboot, to see if it reverted to AT mode, but that didn't work. Eventually, I figured clearing them in psf would work, hoping that it would revert to the default settings. All that did is kill BCSP mode too. Now I'm left with an apparently dead BlueSMiRF.

The "factory settings" pin seems to be tied permanently to GND on the PCB, so I can't activate it. Would SparkFun mind posting the PCB layout section that is covered by the Mitsumi module, to see if I can somehow disconnect it? Any other suggestions?
By marcan
There are no public docs on the SPI interface, and the software is also not available. Bummer.

So I did what was left to be done: drill / saw through the PCB, disconnect PIO[4], and wire it up to a resistor and switch.

It's fugly, but it works! As long as you don't set the "factory reset override" and then screw up the module...