SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By bozito
Now that I succeeded in getting my two transceiver development modules (Sparkfun RF-24G-Dev) talking to one another I have run into another problem and I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on it. I am using the transceivers with their original programming that makes them act as a wireless replacement for a serial cable. When they are both connected to different PCs through standard serial cables, they work as expected. I run simple terminal programs on each of the PC's and send text back and forth between them. There are a few dropouts but mostly it works.

I also have a Parallax Javelin Stamp that I am trying to do basically the same thing with. I am using a simple terminal program on the Parallax that, when I connect its COM port to a PC through a serial cable, works fine. But when I replace the serial cable with the two transceivers (and a null modem) like I did with the PCs, I only get the first two characters transmitted from the Parallax to the PC. I don't get any more characters even if I reset the Parallax. But if I reset the transceiver, I get two more characters. There is no handshaking implemented on the transceivers, so the Parallax program initializes the UARTS accordingly.

So, it sounds like a synchronization problem, but why do the transceivers work relatively well between two PCs but almost not at all between a PC and the Parallax? If the problem is with the baud rate on the Parallax, as I suspected at first, why does it work fine when I go directly to the PC and avoid the transceivers?

Any ideas?