SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By bozito
Hi guys,

This is my first post to this board and I hope that someone can help me out. I am trying to use my two new RF-24G-Dev units for the first time. They come with 24g_232demo_V02.c installed and I have not re-flashed it. I have tried using the two development modules connected to two different computers, each via a serial cable to a COM port. I have tried using Realterm and Hyperterm on the PCs and get the same results with both.

When powering up the RF-24G-Dev, the LEDs cycle, as expected. And when I type a character in either terminal program the LEDs on that module cycle once but never again, no matter how many more characters I type. Also, I expected that when one of the units received a character that it would transmit it to the other one and send it to the terminal program running on its computer but that doesn't happen even with the first character.

I am assuming that the demo program is debugged and works, so I suspect that there is something I am doing wrong, but I can't see what it is. Anyone try this development unit with the installed program and get it to work? Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.
By bozito
I got it to work! I read the sample code too quickly, I guess. The status LEDs change upon receiving data from the air, not upon receiving data from the UART, as I mistakenly thought. So, it was receiving from the UART and attempting to transmit to the other module. Once I got the MiRF units more firmly attached (I was using a friction fit that was not so good), I was able to communicate between the two PC's via the MiRFs as expected. More or less, anyway. It was dropping about one character in 8 at a range of about six inches. So, I need to try to understand why that is happening.
By ahmed raafat
hi bozito,
i bought the RF 24G dev few days ago and i was trying to make it work, but i failed. i read your msgs below and i hope you can help me,, i have some problems. first, i don't know the direction of the antennas ,vertical or horizontal. second, i use matlab for my program is there any certain precaution for transmitting and receiving. I'd really appreciate your help and fast response. thnx in advance.
Rafaat