SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By tuttut89
I found two inexpensive cameras (1 and 2) that both put out a composite video. What I would like to do is transmit the data with the 434Mhz RF Tx/Rx pair. I am planning on connecting the composite video out pin on the cmos camera to the data pin on the transmitter and then connect a composite video cable to the receiver that will display the image on a tv monitor. Will this plan work? If it won't, are there any methods of transmitting video wirelessly with a moderate range(100m+) that a college student could afford? I did find this but I have no clue how to use one or a who supplies them in the U.S.
By tuttut89
I have seen those, I was wanting a little better range though. I am trying to get a transmission range around 100m+, and those only go 50-100m meaning you would probably be lucky to get 100m. Plus I would like a black and white camera since they are better in low lighting, or at least that is what I've read. I will be keeping those cameras in mind as a last resort if I can't find an alternative. Thanks for the post though. :)
By RonnyM
Go to Supercircuits.com. Their 1.2 GHz stuff should give around 1/4 mile. You'll need a ham radio ticket for 434.

Ron
By tuttut89
Thanks for the supercircuits link- I have never searched through their products.

Does anyone know if I could transmit video through any of the rf modules on sparkfun? Maybe with an ADC on one end and a DAC on the other? Or maybe modify the $50 wireless cameras for better range?

More than anything I would like to learn something from the project instead of buying a camera transmitter and receiver.
By saipan59
You'll need a ham radio ticket for 434.
No, I think that's incorrect for 2 reasons:
1) If you stay within the FCC 'Part 15' rules, it's a legal transmission. (However, it's possible that you cannot xmit continuous video on that band and stay within the rules.)
2) 433.92 Mhz is, I believe, NOT part of any HAM band, so a HAM license doesn't help. The nearest HAM band is at 440 Mhz.
Does anyone know if I could transmit video through any of the rf modules on sparkfun?
The 434 Mhz modules that I think you're referring to have very limited bandwidth. They are meant for sending very simple digital data. To send composite video, you need a *much higher* bandwidth - if I remember correctly, it's 4.5 Mhz.

In short, you need a xmtr and rcvr that is specifically intended for video.

Pete
By stevech
standard television analog channels are 6MHz wide.
By n1ist
433.92 definiitely is in the "440 MHz" ham band (420-449 MHz in most places) as is 1240-1300MHz, however there are some license-free (part 15) allocations in there.
By stevech
I'm pretty sure that the use of broadband video in the 430MHz band is illegal per FCC Part 15 because of mandatory restrictions on occupied bandwidth and transmitter duty cycle.

The ham radio guys don't to broadband in that band either - it would interfere with too many voice channels (25KHz)