SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By blueman
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried to use any of the Dell notebook bluetooth modules (ie. 350, 355 ,etc) in a custom application? I'm guessing the 355 is just the serial interface Broadcom bluetooth chip but I don't know the pinout of the Dell module. There's tons on available on E-bay. I wonder if they are just getting these modules from system pullouts or where they are getting so many of them?

Further, since the Dell modules already have FCC stickers on them and it's an shielded module, can one just integrate the module in another end product without recert?

Thanks in advance
By oPossum
The Dell bluetooth modules use USB, not serial.

They are available directly from Dell Electronics and Accessories and from Dell Spare Parts (usually for a much lower price).
By blueman
You mean all the modules are the same interface? Does anyone know the pinouts?
By oPossum
The 355, 350 and 300 have the same pinout. Some versions of the old 300 also have a second connector on the back of the PCB. This was used for a few older model Dell notebooks. The 350 and 355 only have the 10 pin connector on the edge.

Pinout
By oPossum
I think the 350 is a Toshiba chipset.
By blueman
anyone else have experience with this module? pinouts would be great to have.
By blueman
ok thanks. So if it's only a 10 pin connector it can't be that hard to figure out what the pinout is. For $19 the single quantity 355 it's the cheapest module I've seen. I just wish they had SPI or the UART pins on the connector.

Anyone else taken a close look at this module?