SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
Hello all,

I have set up a hosted network with netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=***** key=*****, netsh wlan start hosted network, so that I can communicate a user interface with a wifi module. The wifi module is set to an ip address of 192.168.173.1 and I need this to be the ipv4 address on my hosted network for them to communicate. The default ip address for my hosted network is 192.168.137.1 and so long as I use this ip address I can access the hosted network with any device except for the wifi module. When I go to control panel>network and sharing center>Local area connection* 2>properties>internet protocal version 4 properties and change the ip address here I am no longer able to access my hosted network with any device including the wifi module.

I will add that I am doing this with my home computer, when I do this at work following the exact same steps I am able to connect the wifi module to the user interface no problem. But at home when I change the ipv4 address I am unable to connect to the internet with any device.

I will also add that the devices will connect to the hosted network when using the 192.186.173.1 ipv4 they just can't access the internet and my wifi module has lights blinking as though it is trying to access the hosted network, alternating blinking of red and green lights, but will never actually make the connection, just a blinking green light.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
for your home-network you have to make sure that the first 3 octets (192.168.137) are the same. The last octet are unique and different per device, you can not have 2 devices with the same IP-number on the same network. Normally a device is obtaining it's unique IP number from the access point when they connect (this is what is called DHCP). You CAN overrule that by setting a fixed (called static) address on the device, but again that has to be unique and have the same first 3 octets. Can't you set your wifi module to DHCP mode and/or not set a static address?
It might help if you explain what sort of wifi module you are using. Then we may be able to find some documentation on how to configure it to respond to a static IP4 adress.

If the wifi module can be set to automatic IP assignment then you can usually configure your modem/router to reserve a specific adress for it. For this you need to know what is called the MAC adres of the module, a 6-byte hexadecimal code like 0A:1B:2C:3D:4E:5F. Usually it is printed on a label or the board itself. But how to actually do that also depends on the web-menu's of the router configuration. Again, knowing which brand/model the modem/router is would help with that too. This method is functionally equivalent to setting a static IP4 adress in the module. But your wifi module would always need to be in connection to the wifi signal of the modem/router.

Only if the wifi module has no way to alter it's own IP4 network adress configuration then you have to alter the network IP4 adres configuration of your computer. And then you will not be able to make it connect to the rest of your other (home) network devices. But since this is so unlikely I don't think this is the way you want to go.