SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By OlivierGiraud
I have managed to control a servo motor with an Arduino using a potentiometer. All I need is someone to tell me in simple terms what what to do/buy to make the link between the Arduino and the servo motor wireless, instead of hard wired. In other words, so I can still use the potentiometer to control the servo motor wirelessly. Then I can figure out the rest. A shopping list would be great with simple explanation of what will do what. Thanks a whole bunch!
By lyndon
The R/C car & airplane industry has been doing exactly this since the 50's without using microcontrollers. If you need potentiometer control of a servo wirelessly, there's no need for the Arduino. Where does the Arduino fit into all this?

To answer your question specifically, a 555 pulse generator running at 50Hz and one of SF's 433MHz transmitter/receiver pairs will do what you need.
By OlivierGiraud
Hi Lyndon, thanks for your response! I'm building a wifi remote controlled car from scratch for use in a miniature carnival ride and will need to control a couple of servo motors and probably at least one DC motor. I thought that using micro controllers like Arduinos would be pretty neat given all the possibilities they offer. I have bought an Xbee shield and a servo motor shield already, I just don't really know how to make all this work together. Bare in mind that I'm not an expert, so I don't necessarily have a good reason to do things one way or another. There might be a much better way for me to make this thing work, I just don't know. But I'm open to input, suggestions... Thanks again :-)
By OlivierGiraud
Hi again Lyndon, just wanted to add that I am looking into the 555 pulse generator and the transmitter/receiver pair you mentioned. I'll still have to figure out how to make that work, but it looks like it would be simpler. Thanks for the great input :-)