SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Louielefou
Greetings and happy thanksgiving to the Americans on this board.

My name is Louis, I am an engineering freshman, and I am currently in the process of utilizing an Arduino in the nose cone of my 81" Rocket to gather information regarding the flight. Currently all I am using in an UNO R3, an altimeter/barometer (MPL3115A2) and an OLED screen. I currently have the code arranged so that it gathers altitude readings on ascent and outputs the max value to the screen to be read when it is retrieved.

While this is cool, I only receive a single piece of information (Max Alt) and nothing else. I would like to install some kind of transmitter so that I can relay the information down to a receiver in real time, and analyze the data afterwards (ie graphing altitude, pressure, or deltaV over time.)

I am however having trouble finding the correct medium and equipment to transmit this through. Most of the RF devices I see max out at around 500ft Range, and the rest are manly for WiFi. I do not have a particularly comprehensive understanding of any of this (I started about 2 weeks ago, but have already modified code and soldered some devices together) and any help would be greatly appreciated.

The biggest problem I am having is finding a transmitter/receiver set to purchase.

Thank you for any help in advance and I thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you have a terrific day.

-Louis

PS- Rocket will travel roughly 6km up.
By jremington
Since you will be analyzing the data after the flight, it is much easier and more reliable to use a micro SD card. Tiny breakout boards are available that take up no more space and weight than a transmitter. I use and highly recommend the Sparkfun OpenLog.