SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Tash777
Hi everybody,

I am just wondering if anybody else is having an issue when using the universal reader assistant with the SparkFun Simultaneous RFID Reader - M6E Nano

Using the SparkFun Serial Basic Breakout - CH340G, It will connect and I can set all the settings, antenna power below 5dbm as I am using the USB as a power supply. When I hit the read tags it reads for about 4 seconds and then comes up with an error

- Connection to the reader is lost. Disconnect the reader.

I do have log files if anybody can help or is there something silly that I am missing?

Thanks in advance.
By JHus
Hi, I have the same problem.

For me however, the single read option kinda works (a few times, then it says it has no more acces to the com port).
The continuous read option doesnt work at all. The reading light turns green, but a second or so later, you can hear the windows sound telling you that the usb device is disconnecting. Software hangs and have to reconnect etc.

Tried to set the read power below 5 but still doesn't work.

Anyone knows what the problem could be?

cheers
By piezoplaty
I too am having trouble with the Universal Reader Assistant. I get reads for ~10 seconds, then the disconnect occurs.
By piezoplaty
I connected an external power supply to the M6e, and it seems have resolved the issue.

My setup originally used an external antenna drawing power from USB. No matter how low I set the read power, the thing would only run for ~10 seconds.

With the external power, I'm able to run 27dBm without issue.
By paulvha
An external power supply should be applied to use full antenna power. Depending on your USB it might deliver enough for other antenna power (USB 2.0 is standard for 500mA, 3.0 for 800mA). Otherwise the module will random loose connection.
By rubikadams
I don´t have lecture at all using the URA, I been instaled the " 64-bit installer for Universal Reader Assistant 3.4 from API 1.29.4" on my windows 10 ¿some one at Spark fun can help us? please
By paulvha
works perfect for me.. what com port are you connecting to ? what kind of issues to you experience ?