SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By SimTech
Lately I have been buying inexpensive bluetooth headphones and gutting them and stuffing the whole setup into high quality earmuffs designed for hearing protection. I have 2 sets so far that I use when I cut the grass and whatever so I can listen to music while I work. What I've done thus far has worked great but in the process I have realized that some of these bluetooth audio headphones only use the bare minimum of the capabilities of the bluetooth audio chips like the CSR8645 and such. I would like to know if anyone knows of a simple bluetooth development platform that enables a competent diy hacker to build and hack a bluetooth chip and come up with a small setup to stuff into a set of headphones that uses at least half the features some of these bluetooth chips are capable of. I'm not sure if the bluetooth audio devices available here are up to the task. I would want to be able to hack a device that has several minimal features such as noise cancellation, built in LiPo charger, compatible with the latest comm protocols to connect to my cell phone, etc.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!