SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By martan3d
Would it be possible, if I match the channel and bit rate, for a Synapse RF266PC1 to talk to an Xbee Series 1? I just need to get the message through to the Xbee, I don't care about it being in the SNAP network or mesh or anything. Just a raw 25 byte API sort of message? Anyone know?
By martan3d
Hmm. Just wondering if anyone has tried. Xbee Series 1 are pretty basic devices. One would think a 802.15.4 device on a certain wireless channel at a certain bit rate would be compatible with others? Isn't that the point? Dunno. It's just ones and zeroes eh? ha. I just got a pair of RF266 modules today. Looking forward to finding out.
By Valen
Sure you can ask. I just think there is a small chance of actually finding someone here that has those particular models. Better find the answers closer to the source where you are more likely to get a response or definite answer. As I said, the question has been asked before about S1 and S2. One of the two, can't remember which, deviated from the 802.15.4 protocol by adding a byte in front of the header. So it destroyed compatibility with other similar devices. Whether that is a smart way to corner off a piece of the market is open for discussion.
By martan3d
According to a user on the Synapse Wireless Forum, no, these are not compatible at the RF layer, so the radios evidently don't even see each other, much less are able to communicate. A real shame, this would have greatly expanded my application. Also, these modules are OBSOLETE now, so no more except from stock, and I see Sparkfun is now out. That said, they are pretty darn cool devices. They are still available in other form factors, just not the Xbee pinout. Digikey stocks the new versions if you do a search there.
By martan3d
Just wanted to amend my statement. First, I talked to a synapse developer, not a random user. Second, the modules (ie Xbee S1 and Synapse) ARE compatible at the RF layer. Or more like they are not incompatible. However, the way that SNAP works, they are not. THERE MAY BE a solution if you or I are so inclined, buy using their C extension functionality. For my personal situation, I don't really need the Xbees 'on' the SNAP network, I would just like treat them as peripherals to a particular synapse node. Some considerable engineering will be required but my point is, it's not completely impossible.