SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By LLamabob
Hello,

I've got 2 Arduino RedBoards. I'm planning to buy 2 XBee Series 1 modules, and two XBee Shield and header kit for the 3V buffering and mounting.

Do I need to buy a XBee Explorer USB, or can I program/configure the XBee through the RedBoards?

Are there any other must-have's that you'd recommend to get started?

I'm simply wanting to transmit a serial message from one board to another for now.

Thanks !
Bob
By Valen
LLamabob wrote:Hello,

I've got 2 Arduino RedBoards. I'm planning to buy 2 XBee Series 1 modules, and two XBee Shield and header kit for the 3V buffering and mounting.

Do I need to buy a XBee Explorer USB, or can I program/configure the XBee through the RedBoards?
It is highly advised to get a XBEE Explorer USB, especially when you are starting out. It is pretty much the only way to upload firmware to the Xbees. While you can write an program for the Arduino that relays data to the Xbee over a software serial conneciton, it is not something beginners should start with.

It makes life so much easier when you are trying to program the configuration, testing it's operation or eavesdrop on the communication between the Redboard and the Xbee for debugging purpose (connect the Din of the USB explorer to a TX/Dout pin of whoever is talking). Personally I would suggest you get some extra USB to (TTL level) serial converter to be able to listen what the other side is sending too. Helps a lot in debugging to understand why your code is not reponding to data sent to it. It doesn't have to be a XBee USB explorer, could be some sort of FTDI USB serial cable or Chinese nock-off.