SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By sparky
I get to toot my own horn simply because I can :wink:

Check out the new Serial Miniature RF Link: http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=62

I just tested out a pair with my little sumo bot. Works great to about 64 paces! (aprox. 64 paces * 3ish ft per pace = 194 ft?)

I even boot loaded to my sumo bot within the room at around 5 ft using standard Bloader/Screamer at 9600bps. :twisted:

It only took me four tries to get the PCB layout right :?

I created this new category to help out other people having problems with RF links. I will try to move over the posting to this new category soon.

-Nathan
By e
that looks cool, 4 tries... not too bad :lol:
out of my price range though :cry:
By thekyle2000
Does the SMiRF take care of all data validation problems so that we only get clean serial data out of it? Can I use 2 remote units together if I don't need USB? Can I use Screamer to send boot loader programming to my own mcu over the SMiRF wireless connection?
By sparky
The SMiRF takes care of all the packet validation so that you get a clean signal - Yes.

You can easily use two remotes together - but no more (currently). The base and remote units are actually identical, it just that one has a USB connector. You could use a 'remote' attached to your computer by other means.

Boot loading could be done - but you would need to take into account some timing, such as when a packet takes multiple re-transmits, it takes a bit longer than just sending a character down the RS232 port.

-Nathan