SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By psppb
So after figuring out that GPIO pin 0 needed to be grounded tp program the "Thing" I attempted the simple Blync tutorial and the thing ain't working.
The COM serial port from the arduino IDE won't do anything at all unless I connect the sleep jumper which I soldered on. Then is spits out two things depending on GPIO 0's grounding

Without:
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x4010f000, len 1264, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0x42
csum 0x42
~ld

And when I ground it the boot mode problem is (1,7)
If the sleep jumper is removed... Nothing happens. No serial out period.

Internet says:

reset causes:
        0: 
        1: normal boot
        2: reset pin
        3: software reset
        4: watchdog reset

boot device:
        0:
        1: ram
        3: flash

What in Gods name do I have to do to get this "Thing" working or is this just not w working board

Thanks
By Valen
psppb wrote:...
The COM serial port from the arduino IDE won't do anything at all unless I connect the sleep jumper which I soldered on. Then is spits out two things depending on GPIO 0's grounding
Can you give a bit more details on what you soldered and to where. And pictures to rule out shorts due to solder blobs. There is no sleep jumper pad on the board. Or did you mean that you soldered the reset-from-sleep pin GPIO16/XPD to DTR.

Like here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/es ... sleep-mode

If so, note the warning that it needs to be un-jumpered to allow upload of code.
By Valen
I attempted the simple Blync tutorial and the thing ain't working.
Please clarify if this is a typo. Did you mean Blink, or Blynk?

The first, code shown in the hookup guide, doesn't send anything on the serial port. It only blinks the led on GPIO5.

The latter is a library/platform app to connect with your mobile phone/tablet. I wouldn't call that simple if you are just beginning with ESP8266.