SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By da66en
What options are there for developing an embedded system with 802.11AC with 5GHz? Doesn't seem to be any off the shelf modules that I can find.
By da66en
2.4GHz is quite crowded.

802.11N @ 5GHz would be OK, but I can't find an off-the-shelf module for that either?
By stevech
da66en wrote:2.4GHz is quite crowded.

802.11N @ 5GHz would be OK, but I can't find an off-the-shelf module for that either?
Nah. Lots SSIDs detected does NOT mean that lots of air-time is used.
By da66en
stevech wrote:
da66en wrote:2.4GHz is quite crowded.

Nah. Lots SSIDs detected does NOT mean that lots of air-time is used.
Don't really want to argue about this; I was looking for modules, not opinions. There is lots of usage on 2.4GHz. There is more that uses that spectrum than just WIFI devices.
By Ross Robotics
There is more that uses that spectrum than just WIFI devices.
We all know that. Why not use 2.4GHz when you know that there will be no interference? That is the only reason to move to another frequency.
By da66en
Because, there is interference.

I understand what you guys are saying, but this isn't a thread about 2.4GHz vs 5GHz. This a thread asking for 5GHz development options.
By stevech
I work in embedded wireless. The only 802.11 chip or OEM module with 5GHz are available only to OEMs doing high volume.
The ESP8266 is among the first low cost that's viable for low volume. The Broadcom used in the Photon board (low cost) is much superior.
None of these do 5GHz because there is no demand, for embedded.

If the data rate is low, like 10Kbps or less sustained, 30Kbps peak, then IEEE 802.15.4 is a much better choice. such as the Xbee series 1.

In unlicensed wireless (ISM bands), you can't avoid some interference. And it changes over time.

But for embedded, ISM band sharing is not a constraint.

So I recommend using 2.4GHz or 902-928MHz in No. America, 868MHz in the EU, or 433MHz in No. America. The latter has FCC regulations limiting transmitter duty cycle.
Look at the mini-wireless boards from Anarduino.com for alternatives. These sub-1GHz radios are ideal for low data rate telemetry.
By ChuckMcM
Well if you're only in it for the frequency and don't care about speed then you can use a USB adapter. Most embedded systems seem to do FS devices (12Mbit) rather than HS (480Mbit) so you end up with slower speeds but it does connect to a 5Ghz access point.
By stevech
ChuckMcM wrote:Well if you're only in it for the frequency and don't care about speed then you can use a USB adapter. Most embedded systems seem to do FS devices (12Mbit) rather than HS (480Mbit) so you end up with slower speeds but it does connect to a 5Ghz access point.
With few exceptions, "without mobility there is no need for wireless". So a USB data link has its place and it is rarely viable as a replacement for a wireless link. Not rocket science here.
By Pensive
Is there any movement on this in 2018?

It's important because

1) It's conceivable that people will start switching off their 2.4ghz soon, i probably have only 3 devices left using 2.4ghz in my home now, and one of those is nearly obsolete. I'd envisage within 3 years I'll be 5ghz only.
2) The 5ghz range is superior which makes 5ghz wireless a more viable solution for more implementations. It runs throughout my house without needing any range extenders. The 2.4ghz does not.
3) If you're developing potential consumer products you need to design for tomorrow, today. 2.4ghz is yesterdays tech.

I'd really like to use a 5ghz chip if possible - I haven't found anything so far....

Jon
By phalanx
Pensive wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 am It's important because...
1. No one is getting rid of 2.4 anytime soon.
2. 2.4 has better range than 5.8. Low frequencies carry farther and are less likely to be disrupted by walls and other obstructions. If that's not the case in your house, you likely have a hardware or configuration issue.
3. For the crowd that Sparkfun caters to, there is very little need for 5.8. As was mentioned, inexpensive low volume modules are not currently available. I'm sure on e one becomes available, Sparkfun will carry it.

-Bill