SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By mmmalmberg
Have done several successful Arduino projects using XBees. Just getting going with my first Teensy project. Trying to power a pair of Teensy's and Xbees, on the SparkFun xbee adaptor boards for Teensy, using laptop usb. The Teensy's power up and work just fine, and I've done a bunch of programming that's working for the Teensies at this point.

Used XCTU to ensure both bees are in their default configurations, setting only the network id and medium power. Using the SparkFun usb explorer, both radios seem fine and when I transmit through them the red led on the board lights clearly.

On the Teensy board, I see no LED activity for send or receive, nor any indication on serial monitor that anything is being received.

Teensy version = 3.2
XBee = S1

I guess my question is, in the default configurations, should I be able to power the zigbees by usb power on the SparkFun board? The red LED by the Teensies lights up except during program upload; that's all.

While I don't think it's a code problem I'll include the code below just in case, with one sending and one receiving.

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial1.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
for (int i=0;i<50;++i){
Serial1.write(i);
Serial.print("transmitted data: ");
Serial.println(i);
delay(500);
}
}

int i;

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial1.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
if (Serial1.available()){
i=Serial1.read();
Serial.print("received data: ");
Serial.println(i);
delay(20);
}
}
By stevech
Need wiring diagram.

(No doubt a typo: you wrote "zigbees" rather than XBee, as the S1's you have are not Zigbee, thankfully)
By mmmalmberg
That's correct, xbees. Wiring diagram is the SparkFun xbee adaptor for Teensy, plugged into a Macbook.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13311

The board is in its default power settings i.e. no traces have been cut nor pads bridged with solder. The uart selector switch is set to UART1 (the alternative being S-UART)

Thanks.
By mmmalmberg
I might see what it is. When I attached pin headers to the bees, I didn't include the back row across the width of the unit. I'd seen that as optional in the instruction page I used, but I think that may be where the xbee power is supposed to come from on this board.