SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By MasterBlaster
Hi guys,

I am working on a school project and trying to wrap my head around the application.

I am looking to have two components alert each other when are within a certain proximity to each other. Does not have to be very far, but I guess being able to program the actual distance would be helpful. I would like to explore a solution where both components would be battery operated, but one of them could potentially give off more power (the true "transmitter"). The other component would be smaller, but both would need to provide some type of alert, perhaps illuminating an LED.

Based on my research, I won't be able to use a traditional RFID setup, since a tag doesn't do much other than relay the ID. How do I got about this? Do I need to basically take two transmitter modules and set one up as a transmitter somehow? I don't have a lot of background in this, but am somewhat technical, so don't worry about talking shop. Just really not sure how to go about something like this. I would greatly appreciate anyone's help, whether direct or pointing me towards a resource.

Thanks