SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By jeremyhise
Yes! That's right, my simple setup is dropping lower case "p". This has to rank as one of the dumbest problems I've had in my 20+ years as a programmer.

I have a fairly simple setup. An UNO with an XBee S1 Pro attached via an xbee shield. This device reads an analog value from a pot and sends it via serial to my other UNO with an XBee s1 Pro. It sends a string like "Reporter r1:Temperature:123". On the receiving end, I receive one of the following:

Reporter r1:Temperature:123
Reorter r1:Temperature:123
Reporter r1:Temerature:123
Reorter r1:Temerature:123

If I change the string that is being transmitted to upper case, it doesn't happen. If I change the lower case "p" to "s", it doesn't happen.

Have I finally gone insane?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
By jeremyhise
Thank you for responding. There are a lot of supporting classes so I'll simply include the main loop on the receiving device:

void loop()
{

if(XBee.available()) {
incomingData = XBee.readString();
if(incomingData != "") {
Serial.println(network.getLabel() + ":" + logger.formatResults(incomingData));
Serial.println(incomingData); // This will also print the erroneous string
} else {
Serial.println("Xbee available, no data");
}
digitalWrite(ledRXPin, LOW);
} else {
digitalWrite(ledRXPin, LOW);
}
}

Note the two Serial.println() calls. The first is the original code and the second was to quickly see if I was goofing something up.

Here is the sending device setup and main loop:

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(BAUD_RATE);
XBee.begin(BAUD_RATE);
pinMode(13, OUTPUT); // We simply blink the 13 led when we send data

// 1. Here we are directly setting the label that will help us visually identify
// this reporting board when looking at the data.
reporter.setLabel("Reporter R1");

// 2. Add a sensor to the collection. This is an analog sensor attached to port 0. We
// are giving in an arbitrary ID of 1.
my_sensor_collection.addSensor(1, 0, PIN_TYPE_ANALOG, "Potentiometer");
my_sensor_collection.addSensor(2, 1, PIN_TYPE_ANALOG, "Temperature");

}

void loop()
{
ESN_Sensor current_sensor;

/**
* All of the following is left as is as we have yet to determine a format. We have to take
* readability (machine) into account as well as dealing with this data collision issue.
*/

// Reset the internal pointer on the sensor collection
my_sensor_collection.reset();

digitalWrite(13, HIGH);

// Loop through all the sensors
for(int i = 1; i < my_sensor_collection.getSensorCount() + 1; i++) {
// Get the current sensor
current_sensor = my_sensor_collection.getNextSensor();
Serial.println(reporter.getLabel() + ":" + current_sensor.getLabel() + ":" + (String) current_sensor.readValue().value);
// The logger has an issue parsing lines based on \n character. For this reason, we are going to send sensor data one reading
// at a time.
delay(TRANSMIT_DELAY);
}
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
}

If you look at the setup method on the "sending" device, I will have problems with those "p"s. However, I changed it to REPORTER R1 and the sensors to TEMP and POTS and I have not seen a problem in 3 days. That's about 10,000 transmissions.

The Baud rate is 19200. I raised in attempt to deal with data collisions. The idea is to run 10 - 20 "sending" devices.

Thanks again for any help. I can make due with using caps but I sure would like to know what the heck is going on.