SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Thisisnotme
Hi, I'm new there.

Recently, i've been looking for (without finding) the best way (cheaper, safer, ...) to send and receive data (several Mo in size) from a place not connected to any kind of physical network. Power will be provided by batteries. Also, the place from where I'll send (and receive) data to (from) this isolated spot is too far to use bluetooth technology.

I've thought about gsm/3g networks, but are we forced to pay an submission to use a 3g key for example ?

Actually, my question is : is it possible to send data from a point A to a point B without using bluetooth ? If so, how ?

Thank you
By jremington
(several Mo in size)
What is a Mo?
is it possible to send data from a point A to a point B without using bluetooth ? If so, how ?
How about wires?
By skimask
Looks like yet another well thought out question...
By stevech
Thisisnotme wrote:Hi, I'm new there.

Recently, i've been looking for (without finding) the best way (cheaper, safer, ...) to send and receive data (several Mo in size) from a place not connected to any kind of physical network. Power will be provided by batteries. Also, the place from where I'll send (and receive) data to (from) this isolated spot is too far to use bluetooth technology.

I've thought about gsm/3g networks, but are we forced to pay an submission to use a 3g key for example ?

Actually, my question is : is it possible to send data from a point A to a point B without using bluetooth ? If so, how ?

Thank you
Use wires if at all possible; Infinitely simpler. Like two microprocessors' UARTs, 3 conductor doorbell type wire. TX to RX, RX to TX, GND.

Use some mini-wireless boards. Atmel AVR + RFM69W or HW full duplex radio on same board, as is MB's of flash.
http://www.anarduino.com/miniwireless/
A great freeware protocol stack for many radios. Arduino compatible.
http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/

these can do a star or mesh topology. or simple point to point. Nodes have addresses.
By Valen
What's the range between A and B that we are talking about? Km/miles? Longer? Or 10s of meters/yards?

I never heard of the unit 'Mo' either. Also, cheaper and safer, compared to what? And what is unsafe about it.