SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By raspi907
Hi I'm Jordan proud new owner of a Raspi B+ here at our place in Alaska we have our own mini farm with goats, chickens, and pigs. But our pigs are down the road at our friends house(maybe 1/3 mile away) and we were wanting a way to check on them without having to drive over there multiple times a day. And the internet companies here charge per gigabyte which sucks! I've been reading about different ways to accomplish this but I'm really looking for some input on this.
By stevech
easy not free
two of these, elevated above trees for line of sight. AC mains needed at each end.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

At the corral or pen, get an outdoor packaged "network IP camera". Connect it to the bridge, as above.

You can get network cameras with built-in WiFi but the range will be short as they have no gain antenna as do the bridges shown above.

You can get really cheap INDOOR network cameras and put them into a plastic jug with a drain hole and desiccant packs to keep it rather dry. The outdoor packaged cameras are more expensive but more durable. In really cold weather (AK) leave the gear on 24/7 so it gets self-heated.

No Rpi needed. The bridge at the house end can connect to your home network and be viewable on any PC or handheld.
By waltr
Another totally different approach is analog video transmission. No need what so ever of any computer needed.
There are fairly low cost video Transmitters/receivers operating on 2.4 or 5.8GHz that will go a 1/3 miles with a clear "line of sight".
The common use for these is a video down link from model airplanes.
http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html
Is a sample of what is available.
By raspi907
Thanks for your replies! Both ways seem interesting but the line-of-sight part will be hard theres a **** ton of trees 80+ feet tall packed tight haha. So without having a clear LOS are there any options? I was thinking maybe a 3g usb modem or something of the sort for the raspberry pi... Merry Christmas everybody!
By stevech
raspi907 wrote:Thanks for your replies! Both ways seem interesting but the line-of-sight part will be hard theres a xxx ton of trees 80+ feet tall packed tight haha. So without having a clear LOS are there any options? I was thinking maybe a 3g usb modem or something of the sort for the raspberry pi... Merry Christmas everybody!
After you clean up the language, you can petition for a change in th e laws of physics for line of sight path loss.
By raspi907
stevech wrote:
raspi907 wrote:Thanks for your replies! Both ways seem interesting but the line-of-sight part will be hard theres a xxx ton of trees 80+ feet tall packed tight haha. So without having a clear LOS are there any options? I was thinking maybe a 3g usb modem or something of the sort for the raspberry pi... Merry Christmas everybody!
After you clean up the language, you can petition for a change in th e laws of physics for line of sight path loss.
what **** ton? Some of us are adults here sunny boy... You ever been to Alaska? This states has never been logged like the rest of the country. So smart guy do you have an answer to my question or you just going to be an DICK about it? A clear line of sight isn't possible I'm looking for alternatives.. building two one-hundred foot towers to monitor some pigs is a little outta the question... So to anyone who might know is 3g modem the only option?
By stevech
Don't sunny-boy me. I've been to Alaska and the Yukon. By State Ferry. By car. By the Alaska Railroad. By the Whitehorse narrow-gauge.

Your writing here suggests you are either am immature 15 year old or are psychotic.
By raspi907
Well then you should know that line of sight is a hard thing to accomplish here.. so why don't you try some positive criticism instead of telling me to petition for a change in the laws of physics for line of sight path loss. That's all I'm saying.. I'm trying to give Sparkfun my money and your making it difficult... Can you think of any other ways I can accomplish what I need?