SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By gravyboot
Hi, first time poster here. Hoping for some advice on wireless hardware and control options for a project I'll be starting soon.

I want to have ~15-20 small, wearable wireless units detect when they're in the same location (separated by ~ 5 - 15m in an obstacle-rich environment) and automatically trigger RGB-LED programs etc. I.e. when two or more of the wearers come into range in the in the same place, a program would be triggered, preferably in time sync across the devices.

Each device may have a switch or button for cycling through various programs. One person may have a master switch to control the group. Android control would be ideal but not required.

Wondering if setting up a mesh with ZigBee or BT/BTLE radios would be overkill?

What controller/platform would you suggest? I think I need something running at least 8MHz for the LEDs.

Any thoughts much appreciated, I'm pretty new to wireless. Thanks for your time!

I'd love if I could keep the cost of each unit below $30 but if a better functioning system is available for a bit more I'd consider it.

Edit: Regarding the ZB/BT question - I know I could use something relatively cheap like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12770, and just do beaconing to detect local devices. But I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for the ability to synchronize the light show across each device. As long as the power requirements aren't much higher. Plus I think the ability to control the transmit power on BT/ZB would be a benefit to avoid triggering devices at long range.
By Valen
As far as I understand the OP he wants nothing more than a pressence detector over rf. Not some sophisticated distance measuring device. The way I understand it, if units are close enough to receive infrequent broadcasts of others then lilipad/tinyavr/micro/nano arduino can change it's flashing behavior.

I'm quite weak in regards to rf knowhow. But couldn't 5-15 meters be achieved by the mentioned 434 MHz device with a shorter than quarter wavelength antenna to reduce emissions. If programmable gain reduction doesn't suffice.