SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By jgeist
Hello:

I have 2 XBees communicating in API mode successfully. In my setup I am running the most recent firmware on both radios (according to XCTU). The transmitting XBee is running as a standalone on a board I fabricated. I've checked all the connections, and everything is running at the correct voltage. The receiving XBee is talking to a Processing sketch via the XBee API library. These are 4 to 5 year old Series 1 radios.

The Issue:

Pins 0 through 5 are set to Digital Input (DI) mode (that's mode 3). These pins are also set to transmit upon a voltage change. All pins pins have their pull-up resistors engaged. This is working successfully for all pins, except for DIO 5, which always reports FALSE, or low.

I have tried this on three differing radios and with 2 differing XBee USB Regulated boards offered by SF. Same issue . . . So, this leads me to believe that the pull-up resistor is not engaging on on DIO 5, which is also the pin used to drive an LED to confirm ASSOCIATION.

Question:

These XBee radios are 4 or 5 years old. Did theses older Series 1 radios have a resistor wired inline with pin DIO 5 for driving the ASSOCIATION LED, which might be conflicting with my attempts to engage the pull-up resistor?

Does DIO 5 work as a digital input on these radios? Perhaps I am flashing my radios with firmware requesting options my hardware (the radios) can not provide?

I hope the issue is clear, and thank you.

Jason
By waltr
Looking at the XBee Series 1 document (#90000982_B) I do not see DIO5 listed in the PR (pull-up Resistor) command.
To me that says there is not an internal pull-up available on DIO5.
By jgeist
waltr wrote:Looking at the XBee Series 1 document (#90000982_B) I do not see DIO5 listed in the PR (pull-up Resistor) command.
To me that says there is not an internal pull-up available on DIO5.
Yeah, waltr, that about settles it. Good catch, completely missed that bit (no pun intended). Thank you for confirming this with documentation.

Jason