SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By code_ape
Hey everyone,
I just recently got an Xbee S6B Wifi with an explorer board. I'm currently just fiddling around with it and am trying to get it to send data using XCTU. I'm on a Mac and thus running the v6 beta, which works great but doesn't seem to have any documentation :|

I've got my xbee configured on my network and set it to "API Mode Without Escapes" and want to send Hello World to my Macwhich it will pickup with Netcat:
Code: Select all
$ nc -lv 9750
So I go to create a frame... and am lost. I've dug around and haven't been able to find documentation on what I'm looking to do. What do I need to configure my frame to be to send "Hello World" to my Mac?

Thanks for your help,
code_ape
By waltr
API frames are tricky to put together. Read the XBee document on how they are done. Also, search the web for "XBee API frames" for more info and examples.
By hherhold
I think this might be what you're looking for - This is using the latest XCTUng (6.1.1). It has a "Frame Generator" tool that is a HUGE timesaver.

1. Fire up XCTU
2. In the top bar, there is a "Tools" button. Under this, click on "Frames Generator".
3. Pick your protocol (probably ZigBee) and command, and off you go.

You probably want a Transmit Request (0x10) and then just type in "Hello World" in the RF data field. I get this as a frame:

7E 00 19 10 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF FE 00 00 48 65 6C 6C 6F 20 57 6F 72 6C 64 D5

There's also a "Frames Interpreter" tool that's pretty darn useful.

Hope this helps.

-hherhold
By code_ape
waltr and hherhold,

Thanks for the replies! I found the frame generator and did get hello world to work but for the sake of my deadline I ended up getting the arduino wifi shield.

Thanks again,
- code_ape
By scotticus
i'm having a similar issue. i've got the xbee S6B connected through a usb explorer. I can read/write settings, but i cannot seem to get frames to show up on the other end. I've got all kinds of listeners going on my pc, but no matter what, i'm receiving nothing from the xbee.

Running x ctu console transmitting some ipv4_tx frames right to the IP and port i've got the listener on.