SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By free-bee
So I read in the blog that the AVC is coming up. While I, being poor, may never get to attend the AVC, I got a burst of motivation to build an autonomous airplane. But I'm a noob and I'm poor. So I need to spend as little money as possible. Initially, I decided to grab an RC plane and strip the control board. But then I decided I might save money by adding motors and stuff to a styrofoam glider. All in all, it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to do. But......

I am looking into the control circuit right now. I plan on using two Arduino Uno's as the control circuit on the aircraft and on the controller. I initially looked into Bluetooth modules and allowing any device to connect to the plane, like a dongle on my laptop, which I'd need to buy also. But Bluetooth doesn't have the range I need. So I did some research and found this module. It's cheaper than my original plan by $20 if I go with this antenna. Then it's as simple as grabbing a project box and some buttons/switches. And landing gear. I really need those.

At the bare minimum, I could get away with sending only 8-bit numbers. Two for the elevator, two for the ailerons, (two for rudder and two for engine speed) or (four for engine speed and use an accelerometer for auto-rudder).

Now, what lead me to these products was the nRF24L01+'s acclaimed 100m connection distance and a comment pointing to that antenna; about how that antenna was needed to get near that 100m distance. Would you guys say this is a good choice, or would you recommend something else? Also, do these two modules connect automagically if they are close enough? I'd say probably not based on what topics I was able to find on it.

All the cool stuff like GPS will need to wait until I get more money. I'm just trying to get a functional plane right now.
By free-bee
RTFM, right? To the best of what I can tell, this can happen:
You have one of these modules configured to some channel, x, and some frequency, f. You have three of these modules setup in recieve mode. Two are on the same channel, x, but the fourth is on channel y, also on frequency f. Anything sent by the transmitter will be picked up and piped out of the two receivers on channel x, while the receiver on channel y pipes nothing out. Meanwhile, any receiver not on frequency f will ignore the signal.

What I am unable to find is how to enter these modes and how to configure these variables.