SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By barak8
Hello,
I have a simple question. Does the xbee wifi module and the xbee series 1 can be in the same network and communicate?
For my project I am trying to create xbee network and connect to an external wifi so my internal xbee netowrk can share internet inside the network.

Thank you!
By stevech
barak8 wrote:Hello,
I have a simple question. Does the xbee wifi module and the xbee series 1 can be in the same network and communicate?
For my project I am trying to create xbee network and connect to an external wifi so my internal xbee netowrk can share internet inside the network.

Thank you!
Yes, IEEE 802.11 (WiFi) and IEEE 802.15.4 (used in XBee) physically coexist well. It was an original intent of the IEEE standards. Of course, a bridge device is needed for products using the two standards to exchange data.
By waltr
The "bridge" can be anything that can interface to both an 802.11 device and an 802.15.4 device and transfer data between them. Your PC and the appropriate software (program) can be one such 'bridge'. An Ardiuno with a WiFi shield and an XBee shield could be another 'bridge' example.
By barak8
so you basicly say that they cant share network, but with a bridge(arduino for exmaple) you can share data?

Seria2l.wirte(Serial1.write())
and
serial1.write(Serial2.write())
?
Thank you.