SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By mitcho
Hi all,

Right now i am making a wearable project and am using Bluesmirf Basic connected to an Arduino board (both purchased from sparkfun).

Bluetooth is really good because its so simple to set up a connection between computer and microcontroller (simply connect bluesmirf to GND,5v, Rx, Tx) and i use bluetooth dongle to set up serial connection.

However, it is very power consuming.

I am wondering whether there is any RF modules out there which work similarly to bluesmirf. i am looking for something i can easily connect to arduino board and set up serial connection with my computer to send data to the board.

Thanks
By Falcon X
mitcho wrote:Hi all,

Right now i am making a wearable project and am using Bluesmirf Basic connected to an Arduino board (both purchased from sparkfun).

Bluetooth is really good because its so simple to set up a connection between computer and microcontroller (simply connect bluesmirf to GND,5v, Rx, Tx) and i use bluetooth dongle to set up serial connection.

However, it is very power consuming.

I am wondering whether there is any RF modules out there which work similarly to bluesmirf. i am looking for something i can easily connect to arduino board and set up serial connection with my computer to send data to the board.

Thanks
I'd recommend the nRF2401a or nRF24L01. I haven't gotten to play with the L01 much, but I was able to make the nRF2401a dance quite nicely.
By mitcho
Does these devices, the nRF2401a or nRF24L01, work the same way?
By sparky
The nRF ICs require you to write your own protocol. They are really handy, and extremely flexible units (not to mention really cheap), but they require the end user to do a lot of firmware and protocol stuff to get them going.

It's the same $ vs. time problem. Bluetooth is very easy, but a bit more expensive. nRF is way cheap, but it takes some time to get working.

-Nathan