SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By tom_in_az
I want to use my Android phone (T-Mobile G1 or G2) and/or tablet (Barnes & Nobel Nook Color) to work with a pair of 900mhz Xbee pro boards. The only way I can imagine this to be done is to use a bluetooth board to communicate with the xbee. However I am not sure if there is a way to interface the xbee directly to the MicroUSB connection of the three devices.

What the ultimate goal here is to interface the Android phone/tablet to an Arduino Uno with a serial connection via TouchOSC. I would use a WiFi connection, but am afraid that the 802.11b/g boards on the market will not play nice with the other 2.4ghz radio setup in the same aluminum robotic structure. The other radio is a Spektrum R/C AR7000 radio connected to a Spektrum DX7 radio. (This is also why I am considering going with a 900mhz setup for the serial connection.) Perhaps if there was a 802.11n radio shield available (that could run on 5ghz, not sure the phones or tablet have 5ghz built in though) I would think less about the possibility of issues with frequency clashing.

If there is a simpler way to do all of this, I am willing to listen to new ideas. I have even thought of using a ethernet shield along with a ethernet-to-wifi adapter. More than anything I'd love to keep this simple to create.

Thanks very much for any help or advice on this.
Tom