SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Alex_Qt
Hi everyone, I'm buy new WiFly module http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10004
Now I'm connected:
1) pin 12 and pin 13 --> Rx,Tx UART (3.3 TTL level).
2) pin 19 and pin 18 to ground and 36-44 to ground too.
3) pin 20 and pin 21 to +3.3V DC power
4) pin 26, 27, 28, 29 --> LED indicator
5) pin 24 it's jamper, and connected to +3.3V DC power (for adhoc mode)

But my WiFly module doesn't work right, I can't find new network access point from my laptop, computer or Nokia 5800, and any LED's don't flash or ligth ON :?:
Then I'm connect my module to computer (UART-USB) (FT232RL), and open TeraTerm terminal and connect him to virtual com port COM10, I see cycle responde from WiFly module:
WiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFlyWiFly...................
What is my problem? Please help me.
Alex
By FartingMonkey92
Oh my. You decided to leave a little work for us then... :shock:

Okay:
1. Looks like your powering the WiFly module from 5V. Not good.
2. The FTDI FT232RL IC can only supply 50ma on it's regulated 3.3v output. The WiFly module needs up to 212ma when transmitting, insufficient current may cause it to reset.

Answer those and we may be able to continue.
By Alex_Qt
I'm use 3.3V DC from USB 5V (see on picture)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Alex_Qt on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By FartingMonkey92
Image doesn't work but hey-ho, how about putting some decoupling capacitors on that regulator you have there...
By Alex_Qt
АААААААААААААААА!!! Module is working!! :lol: :lol:

The case was in feeble regulator 3,3 V, which is seen only 100 mA current, and the WiFly module need to 240 mA from it and continuously reset in the hope that it will be enough power! When I powered from power suppla. Immediately LED's blinked, signaling that the WiFly module works. :idea:

After which the network has a new access point to which I have successfully connect, and my Nokia 5800 too! :lol:

First power supply in my life. :oops:
Fucking regulator...
By ab500
You certainly showed Sparkfun who was boss by not buying that uber-convenient breakout break...
By NachtNebel
I profit in this topic to ask if I can power my Arduino UNO with a USB cable or do I have to use a regular power cable ?