SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By yopaii
HELLO

I try, i try, ... but nothing happen...

I am having issues with Sparkfun Xbee Shield ( http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=9841 )
I want to communicate with 2 Arduino UNO, 2 Xbee Pro 60mW 802.15.4 (last firmware) ( http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8710 ), and 2 Xbee Shield Sparkfun.
I can configure the Xbee with Xbee Explorer (sparkfun) and X-CTU (that's the BEST PART !! :-) )
They respond and i can change the setup, but i leave the basic setup, i was told that they should work with it, without any change.

With the Xbee explorer, i can see the Tx led blinking when i send something in the terminal, So I suppose the Xbee is working good.

I loaded the sketchs to simply communicate onto the UNO, (the one here http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoXbeeShield ) and the board seems to do there job (at this point, no Xbee activated)
But when i unplug de USB cable and put an external power, and the Xbee On, the boards are working, but no communication at all between them !!
I tryed many thing, many configuration, tested many code on forums... and change the switch UART into the 2 positions on the Xbee SHield, but nothing happen.
I only have 1 Xbee Explorer USB, so i can't test the communication without Arduino.
It seems that my setup = UNO + Xbee Shield + Xbee Pro 60mW don't Work at all !!!
Plus, the Xbee Shield cannot be perfectly assembled on the UNO, it touchs the USB port. You can see this on this pictures :

I think there is a problem with Xbee Pro 60 mW and your Xbee Shield, and maybe with the UNO itself.
Don't you think ?
The fact that the shield can not be closed to the Arduino may be the problem ?
Or the Xbee Shield is not made for new Arduino UNO ?

Please, help, it's urgent for me i have to build something as soon as possible.
thk U.
By yopaii
OK. I send emails to sparkfun and they send me a reply few minutes.
Maybe my bigger mistake is that i didn't realize the all may not work if i don't solder the shield.
adding and soldering headers, every connections should work properly, and it will be a better start to get communication.

So .. I am gonna solder it !!!!

thank you
By pbender
yopaii wrote: Plus, the Xbee Shield cannot be perfectly assembled on the UNO, it touchs the USB port. You can see this on this pictures
Have you soldered the headers onto your XBee Shield? From the photos, it appears you have not.

If you solder all of the stackable headers with the bottom of the plastic header touching the circuit board, the board will just clear the USB port. I can post a picture later today.

Your connection issues could certainly be due to poor (or no) electrical connection, which would happen if the headers are not soldered to the XBee shield.

Paul
By yopaii
thank you Paul
I'd love a picture !!!
It appears obvious to me now that i HAVE TO solder the headers.
I just learnt few mounth ago what means "ARDUINO", and i am a newbie in electronic.

thx
By pbender
Here is what it looks like from the side when soldered to the headers. Notice the shield just rests on the top of the USB connector on the right side of the image, but it is basically parallel to the UNO ( The photo was shot with the board attached to an UNO, I also have some of the Duemilanoves).

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By yopaii
HERE i AM . :D :D :D
Excuse me i am a bit happy.
Soldering done, the Xbees work soOoo good !
I can make the 2 UNO talk to each other and blink the LED of the other one.
I tested 1 UNO+Xbee and 1 explorer USB+Xbee on the other hand, with X-CTU, ad the communication is very good too.
I can receive and transmit information.
I tryed with MAX/Msp and the explorer USB, and the far-away-UNO receive correctly my command.
That is just FINE !!!!

I confirm that if you want to load a sketch in the Arduino that have an Xbee on it, the switch on the Xbee Shield has to be in DLINE, otherwise you will not be able to load it.
And to run the arduino with external power supplie and Xbee, the switch has to be on UART.

I just ask myself how i will plug and use mys Serial Enabled 16x2 LCD now ..... because the Xbee already use de Tx and Rx pin ....
any idea ???
By follower
yopaii wrote:I just ask myself how i will plug and use mys Serial Enabled 16x2 LCD now ..... because the Xbee already use de Tx and Rx pin ....
any idea ???
I'm pleased you got your XBee working. :) As you rightly observe the XBee and Serial Enabled LCD can't share the Tx/Rx pins.

You'll want to look into the NewSoftSerial library, which will allow you to connect the Serial LCD to a different pair of pins.

I suggest you ask the question on the Arduino.cc forums as I think the creator of the library posts there and others will be able to help you.

--Philip;