SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
Apparently, it's not a bad shield, rather, I'm just not very good at soldering :|

After wiggling, and pressing on the board & headers (while resetting the board with the serial monitor open) I was able to get passed the 'Attempting to Connect' part, and able to issue $$$ and commands.

However, after some re-soldering, my board is still very sensitive. I'm having a hard time keeping it working consistently w/o me applying pressure, and keep getting 'Auto-Assoc roving1 chan=0 mode=NONE FAILED' a lot...
By StaticDet5
I think the latest library update (mysteriously coupled with the new Arduino 22 kit) did something. I couldn't find it or put my finger on it, but the combination happened to me within an hour of each other, and then things just worked.
Hi Guys ... cause i had a lot of trouble with the shield .. i have a few infos .. well perhaps i can save a guy some time ...

first of all i got often "AUTH-ERR" and Disconnects from the shield .. since i attached an external-antenna i got a quite stable wifi connection... the internal antenna doesnt work for me... looks like the other components are producing to much noise .. (rf-receiver, lcdbackpack .. sensorics)

on more point ... i got a working solution .. well atleast for me .. to get the RTC-Time of the WiFly ..

cause the RTC-Value would need a 64Bit Integer for processing .. i split it into 2 32bit floats .. so a one-second precision should ... bla bla ...

it works .. its not perfekt ...
Code: Select all
float strToFloat(String str){
  float result = 0;  
  for(int i=0; i < str.length(); i++){
    if (isdigit (str[i])) {
	 result = result * 10 + str[i] - '0';
    }
    else {
	 break;
    }
  }
    return result;
}
Code: Select all
bool sync_time()
{
  bool aRes = false;
#ifdef WLAN
  sWLAN.SpiDev.print("time");
  sWLAN.SpiDev.println();
  delay(5000);
  sWLAN.SpiDev.print("show t t");
  sWLAN.SpiDev.println();
  int ix;
  char timestr[1024];
  timestr[0] = '\0';
  int ic = 0;
  int tom = 0;
  while (true)
  {
    ix = sWLAN.SpiDev.read();
    if (ix >= 0)
    {
      Serial.print((char)ix);
      timestr[ic] = (char)ix;
      ic++;
      timestr[ic] = '\0';
      tom = 0;
    } else {
      delay(10);
      tom++;
      if (tom > 200) {
        break;
      }
    }
  }
  if (ic > 10)
  {
    String aTimes = String(timestr);
    int rtcidx = aTimes.indexOf("RTC=");
    if (rtcidx > 0)
    {
      aTimes = aTimes.substring(rtcidx+4);
      aTimes = aTimes.substring(0,aTimes.indexOf(" "));
          // Precision-Splitting 64bit -> 32bit tricksing
      String srtc1 = aTimes.substring(0,4);
      srtc1 = srtc1 + "000000000";
      String srtc2 = aTimes.substring(4,4+9);
      double rtc1 = strToFloat(srtc1);      
      double rtc2 = strToFloat(srtc2);
      double dayidx1 = (rtc1 / 86400000);
      double dayidx2 = (rtc2 / 86400000);
      double dayidx = (dayidx1 + dayidx2) - 49708.22629268139;
      // Delphi Stamp to UnixStamp
      int idayidx = (int)dayidx;
      long UnixStamp = ((idayidx - 25569) * 86400) + (int)(86400 * (dayidx - idayidx)) - 7200;
      char msg[200];
      setTime(UnixStamp); // time.h
      digitalClockDisplay(); // see time samples
      aRes = true;      
    }
  }

#endif
  return aRes;
}
well sWLAN is my own WiFly-Class .. its a simple WiFly-Http-client Lib supporting retrys and working timeouts ... well just a buggy bunch of code *lol*

.. so far gn8 dorty
By jwheeler
One tip I just discovered: Make sure you open the Serial Monitor *after* the Tx light on the Arduino board goes out. Takes a bit for the upload to complete (~20-30 sec.), but starting up the Serial Monitor before it's complete seems to interrupt it. Seems kind of obvious now...

I just suffered through joeyc and staticdet5's 'unable to connect' symptoms. Running the 22 IDE on Mac OS 10.6.6.

Had the WiFly stacked on top of the Uno with the standard 6-/8-pin headers. Would hit upload, then open the Serial Monitor a couple seconds later. System would always hang at "Attempting to connect to SPI UART."

Took the stack apart and soldered the headers into the WiFly board and just connected wires across the Tx, Rx, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, Gnd, 3.3v(Uno)->VIN(WiFly) pins.

Same fail pattern.

Then, since the WiFly was no longer stacked on top of the Uno, I noticed that the Tx light on the Uno stays on for a long time after you hit upload in the IDE. So I uploaded again, and waited for the Tx light to go out BEFORE opening the Serial Monitor in the IDE. Gets to the SPI UART no problem, now.

Hope this saves a fellow noob an angst-ridden trip to the 'Shack for hook-up wire and small gauge solder at some point...

Cheers!
@ jwheeler good tip. I'll give that a try on mine as well.

I did finally get my WiFly working, but alas, I did have to actually stop and read the Roving Networks PDF and download the TeraTerm program. Mine is still troublesome. I can get it to work every time, but always end up having to hook it up USB to get it going... Every once in a while I have to do a factory RESET again to get it to respond correctly... My Steps:

load Examples > wifly > tools > SPIuartTerminal sketch: (Then i use TeraTerm to communicate via serial)
$$$
factory RESET
set wlan auth 1
set wlan ssid <ssid>
set wlan key <wep password> // I use WEP-128
set ip localport 80
set ip remote 80
save
get ip
reboot
// telnet to double check
exit

Another tip is to put this at the begining of void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("============ begin ===========");
WiFly.begin(); Serial.println("============ wifly started ===========");

Then I can easily tell if it hangs on WiFly.begin(), and if so, reset & wiggle or restart serial port... But I'll check for the TX light next time.
I’ve been battling the entire weekend with the WiFly shield (Connected to a Arduino UNO). I know think I’ve exhausted all possible steps in debugging this issue. I have also tried this with all versions and some forks of the code and version 0022 and version 1.0 of the IDE.

After uploading and running SpiUartTerminal.pde or the HardwareFactoryReset.pde, the serial monitor just hangs after outputting “Waiting for input:” and doesn’t allow me to enter the command line application ($$$). I’ve tried unix screen, coolterm and the standard IDE serial monitor. I’ve also tested the pins to ensure everything is connected correctly (I finally soldered them to the header pins) and I’m sure it is.

I would really appreciate some help if possible. I’m now suspecting that it is in fact a hardware issue.
qoda wrote:I’ve been battling the entire weekend with the WiFly shield (Connected to a Arduino UNO). I know think I’ve exhausted all possible steps in debugging this issue. I have also tried this with all versions and some forks of the code and version 0022 and version 1.0 of the IDE.

After uploading and running SpiUartTerminal.pde or the HardwareFactoryReset.pde, the serial monitor just hangs after outputting “Waiting for input:” and doesn’t allow me to enter the command line application ($$$). I’ve tried unix screen, coolterm and the standard IDE serial monitor. I’ve also tested the pins to ensure everything is connected correctly (I finally soldered them to the header pins) and I’m sure it is.

I would really appreciate some help if possible. I’m now suspecting that it is in fact a hardware issue.
Any luck?

In the same boat here, everything was working perfectly until last friday... now for some unknown reason my wifly wont connect any more and is always stuck with these lights goin off continuously http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBzJGVF78Q... unfortunately i dont know what this means...

i also tried uploading and running SpiUartTerminal.pde, same thing, the serial monitor just hangs after outputting “Waiting for input:” and doesn’t allow me to enter the command line application ($$$). I’ve also tried, coolterm and the standard IDE serial monitor no luck. Im pretty sure my soldering isnt the issue since the wifly had been working for the past month no problem.

HardwareFactoryReset.pde seems to be communicating with the wifly since i can see the reset led pattern goin off but then once its done it just hangs again after outputting “Waiting for input:” and doesn’t allow me to enter the command line application ($$$). Back to same light pattern as before aswell(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBzJGVF78Q).. I really do not know why this is happening... any help would be much appreciated.
By asfarley
Hi,

I'm having the problem where it hangs at "Attemping to connect to SPI UART" in the factory hardware reset and troubleshooting examples.

I've also tried the WebClient example and it hangs at WiFly.begin();.

This is using Arduino 1.0 with the most recent library from here:
https://github.com/jmr13031/WiFly-Shiel ... README.txt

I'm using an Arduino Uno R3 and the Rev3 WiFly shield. I get the same result using Tera Term and the Arduino Serial Monitor. Any advice?

Thanks,