SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Wiseman20
I am thinking about creating a bicycle computer and would ideally use RF because of cost. I believe most of the wireless transmitters are running at 2.4ghz but I am not able to find receivers at this frequency... Are these receivers proprietary to their companies transmitters? Also wondering if even if I did find the right receiver if I would be able to use another companies transmitter.

I would love to use Bluetooth because my unit already has it, but the cost is a deal breaker.

Let me know what you guys think.
By cpolley
Both the nordic and xbee units are 2.4GHz. You probably won't find any listed specifically as receivers because these do both TX and RX (unlike say the 433 modules). Get two and you have a two-way link.

Cost- and difficulty-wise you're MUCH better off going wired; the reason to go RF is more about convenience/wire clutter. It's very easy to run a couple of wires up your front forks... maybe not so much from your heart rate sensor to the handlebars...
By ifor
My home made bike computer has wired wheel and cadence sensors. I have an Ant transiver which picks up my HR strap and could do power if I spent the cash.... No writeup avalible but some pics of mark 1 and 2 http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/iforpowel ... directlink

If I find a suitable display module I may do a mark 3 using the package tracker module here that way it should be possible to get the size down lower although mark 2 is working very well at present.

Ifor