SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
I have been trying to get the Wifly module to work with an arduino Duemilanove development board. I used one of the examples in the library (WiFly_Autoconnect_Terminal). it seems like the example "freezes" in one of the first lines actually it freezes in the WiFly.begin();
after checking out the library file WiFlyDevice.cpp I found out that the while loop "while (!(uart.available() && (uart.read() == '\n')))" just keeps running forever

void WiFlyDevice::skipRemainderOfResponse() {
/*
*/
while (!(uart.available() && (uart.read() == '\n'))) {
// Skip remainder of response
}
}

anyone that has got an idea of what I am not doing right

regards
BMake
By follower
Bmake wrote:it seems like the example "freezes" in one of the first lines actually it freezes in the WiFly.begin();
Please make sure you're using the alpha 2 release of the library.

Then try the 'SpiUartTerminal' sketch and reply with the output from that sketch after you enter command mode and try a command like "scan".

--Philip;
follower wrote:
Bmake wrote:it seems like the example "freezes" in one of the first lines actually it freezes in the WiFly.begin();
Please make sure you're using the alpha 2 release of the library.

Then try the 'SpiUartTerminal' sketch and reply with the output from that sketch after you enter command mode and try a command like "scan".

--Philip;
thanks for the comment Philip :)

First I did not have the alpha 2 release of the library but now I have... now the program does not freeze so that problem is no longer in my way,
but I need the thing to work with a 64bit WEP key, but it seems it only supports 128 BIT WEP...

so my new problem is that I need the WiFly to connect to a router with 64bit WEP key

....any solutions?
By follower
Bmake wrote:First I did not have the alpha 2 release of the library but now I have... now the program does not freeze so that problem is no longer in my way,
Great!
but I need the thing to work with a 64bit WEP key, but it seems it only supports 128 BIT WEP...
so my new problem is that I need the WiFly to connect to a router with 64bit WEP key
....any solutions?
See the reply to your other post for the list of supported WiFly security protocols, as you observed there is no 64-bit WEP support.

Unfortunately, there is no solution for this issue with the WiFly--WEP is deprecated and 64-bit WEP is pretty close to useless so it's generally not supported. If you can, I would suggest switching to 128-bit WEP or WPA. Or, switching to an open network if security is of little concern.

--Philip;
By NovaDura
Not sure why but... I can't even get past the WiFly.begin(). I added several println statements to assist in the debugging. It appears to be getting hung in the "skipRemainderOfResponse" routine asit's not matching the CMD sent to the uart. I was questioning my solder job for the headers, but I assume the uart is not in any way concerned with the ardunio right? So any ideas what's going on?

WiFly Shield Terminal Routine
WiFlyDevice::begin
SpiUartDevice::begin
SpiDevice::begin
WiFly::Reboot
...Switch to command mode
WiFlyDevice::switchToCommandMode
WiFlyDevice::attemptSwitchToCommandMode
...uart println ''
...uart println exit
...uart flush
...uart print $$$
WiFlyDevice::attemptSwitchToCommandMode <DONE>
WiFlyDevice::responseMatched
...CMD
WiFlyDevice::responseMatched <DONE>
...MatchFound: FALSE
...SkipRemainderOfResponse
WiFlyDevice::skipRemainderOfResponse
...skip remainder of response
good bye my hope.
By cbernett
Hello!

I'm having strangely inconsistent results. At home, where I have an airport express (WPA2), one piece of code worked perfectly (just getting past the connection part), but others did not. That said - my bigger issue is that I am trying the same thing at work where we also have a WPA network, but it doesn't error out or connect, it just hangs on the .begin(). Any suggestions as to how best to debug or what could be the problem?

Thank you!
Claudia
By kiwidave
hi guys,

im having trouble getting the wifly into respond to anything i send.

at the moment i get the following form the board::
Auto-Assoc roving1 chan=0 mode=NONE FAILED

if i try to go into command mode $$$ (with or with out CR) i see the boards rx light up but i get no change in response from the board.

ive tried using different terminal programmes but with out luck.

im lost now... has anyone had this issue.

cheers,
David
By Psysoul
Hello everyone!

I want to buy a Wifly shield for my Arduino uno, but currently I don't yet see if that will work for me.

I am creating a project which will use touchOSC on my iphone and hopefully I will be able to control an RGB DMX lamp using arduino and a Wifly without a PC.

The touchOSC is working with the Arduino, I am able to control a single LED.

I still need to buy / create the DMX shield and buy the Wifly.

So can you confirm that I can get this working? I need to send OSC signals to the Wifly board which should then create events on my Arduino, and control
Arduino's outputs based on the events.

You can also link me tutorials, but I've seen the one with sparkfun's Wifly here.

Thanks for your help.
By tania.hernandez3
When I use this code:
Code: Select all

Client client("google.com", 80);

I get this error

"The Client has been renamed as EthernetClient"

Console:
Code: Select all
sketch_apr30a.ino:3:2: error: #endif without #if
sketch_apr30a:22: error: no matching function for call to 'Client::Client(byte [4], int)'

As of Arduino 1.0, the Client class in the Ethernet library has been renamed to EthernetClient.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:7: note: candidates are: Client::Client()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:7: note:                 Client::Client(const Client&)
sketch_apr30a:22: error: cannot declare variable 'client' to be of abstract type 'Client'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:7: note:   because the following virtual functions are pure within 'Client':
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:12: note: 	virtual size_t Client::write(uint8_t)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:13: note: 	virtual size_t Client::write(const uint8_t*, size_t)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:14: note: 	virtual int Client::available()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:15: note: 	virtual int Client::read()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:17: note: 	virtual int Client::peek()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:18: note: 	virtual void Client::flush()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:10: note: 	virtual int Client::connect(IPAddress, uint16_t)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:11: note: 	virtual int Client::connect(const char*, uint16_t)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:16: note: 	virtual int Client::read(uint8_t*, size_t)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:19: note: 	virtual void Client::stop()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:20: note: 	virtual uint8_t Client::connected()
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Client.h:21: note: 	virtual Client::operator bool()
sketch_apr30a.ino: In function 'void loop()':
sketch_apr30a:53: error: expected `)' before '{' token

I am using a WiFly shield not an EthernetShield, how do I fix This problem?
I hope someone could help me as soon as possible :) thanks