SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By follower
Hi,

Thanks for your question
dustoaction wrote:Has anyone put this thing under source control someplace
Err, not yet, but given you're the second person to ask I'll bump doing so up the priority list a bit. :) Feel free to ping me again in a week or so if I don't get it done fast enough for your liking. :)
maybe with some documentation options?
What do you mean by "documentation options"?
I just ask because I would probably contribute if it was easy to.
Great, I'll hold you to that. :D

--Philip;
By follower
The source is currently in a private hosted Mercurial repository and I will add a public repository and tracker to mirror it.

I'm not a huge fan of generated documentation but agree that the overall documentation needs to be improved. Have added it to the TODO list. :) Doxygen at least seems not to obscure the general readability of the comments as much as some systems do.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--Philip;
By follower
It's been brought to my attention that an updated version of the WiFly Shield is shipping which uses a different crystal frequency.

This change will require a change in the file "SpiUart.cpp" on the line that currently reads:
Code: Select all
#define XTAL_FREQUENCY 12288000UL // On-board crystal
I need to get confirmation of the new frequency value to use.

--Philip;
By adamwolf
Hi -

Just a big thanks for doing this!

This is going to make me look dumb, but I spent a few hours trying the WiFly terminal in the tutorial, and then yours, with no success, and was burrowing deeper into understanding the bitmath in the SpiUart code where it seemed to be failing when I tried using a different Arduino. It worked! So hackers, if you find yourself needing to troubleshoot your WiFly shield: make sure you see blinky lights before getting into the code.

Adam
By SoSpartan
follower wrote:It's been brought to my attention that an updated version of the WiFly Shield is shipping which uses a different crystal frequency.

This change will require a change in the file "SpiUart.cpp" on the line that currently reads:
#define XTAL_FREQUENCY 12288000UL // On-board crystal
I need to get confirmation of the new frequency value to use.

--Philip;
Thanks for posting this. It looks really interesting.

FYI, the WiFly Shield I got has a 14.7456MHz crystal on it, so your define should be:
#define XTAL_FREQUENCY 14745600UL // On-board crystal (newer boards)
and the baud rate LSB needs to be: 0x60
By dustoaction
utoxin wrote:As a counter suggestion for project hosting: Github, if you prefer distributed version control. (Which I really really do.)
For sure, I certainly was just making a suggestion.

Also, should we start by firming up (and documenting) the lower level libraries first? I'm just saying I've got a Kegerator I'm trying to build!
By seacritter
I can't find that in my SpiUart.cpp. Is there another version of this?

Also, I had a WiFly module mounted onto a breakout board (RN-121) and ordered the SC16IS750 breakout board to adapt it. I've soldered everything in place and it doesn't talk to it.

I had preconfigured it, while it was a breakout board, and it connects perfectly by itself. It's a great little module, I just need it to talk to the arduino...

Thanks...
By follower
seacritter wrote:I can't find that in my SpiUart.cpp. Is there another version of this?
There's only been one version released. Note that there are two files with similar names: SpiUart.cpp and SpiUart.h
Also, I had a WiFly module mounted onto a breakout board (RN-121) and ordered the SC16IS750 breakout board to adapt it. I've soldered everything in place and it doesn't talk to it.
Without knowing more detail it's difficult to know what to suggest. I'd recommend double-checking the wiring and ensuring the RX/TX connections are correct.

--Philip;
By bswift5528
This is great! Really cool!

Just a quick question, though...does the WiFly have the ability (currently, or in the future with this library) to communicate straight between WiFly/laptop, WiFly/smartphone, WiFly/WiFly, *without* the need for a broadcasting wireless router nearby? Just a standalone, 2-device, ad-hoc network? That would make me an incredibly happy happy happy person!
By follower
bswift5528 wrote:does the WiFly have the ability (currently, or in the future with this library) to communicate straight between WiFly/laptop, WiFly/smartphone, WiFly/WiFly, *without* the need for a broadcasting wireless router nearby? Just a standalone, 2-device, ad-hoc network?
As I understand it the WiFly module itself supports both joining and creating an Ad Hoc network.

However, the library doesn't yet support creating an ad hoc network directly. From reading section 5.11 of the user guide (version 2.19) I think the following will create an ad hoc network assuming the correct configuration has been provided:
set wlan join 4
AFAICT you should be able to join an ad hoc network in the same manner as you join a normal AP-hosted network.

--Philip;
I just brought a WiFly shield last week, I have some difficulty on making this board work.

I did try using the library examples and set the passcode & wifi termianl.pde but none of them work, it just give me some garbage char. result
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2436964/wifishield/wifly.png

I also try the program "screen" in mac, it also give me the same result.

here is the video
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2436964/wifishield/wifly.mov

can anyone give me some hint? thanks a lot.